Circle Hooks

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by RebelMan, Apr 28, 2009.

1. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Hey guys I'm wondering what circle hooks work good for you guys. I love the owner 10/0 circle hooks(saltwater). They have a nice wide gap on them and are very sharp. The only bad thing about them is the price. I'll get 4 of them for 5 bucks. And that will put a hole in your pocket fast. I tried the cabelas king kat circle hooks (up to 13/0) and still dont like the gap they have on them. Even though they are 13/0 you can't put big bait on it and they are a pain to take the hook out of the jaw of a channel cuz the gap is so tiny. I have some team catfish 8/0 circle hooks on the way and hopefully I have better luck with them. Any suggestions would be great. And what circle hook works good for big live bait or big chunks also:wink:.

2. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

3. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

Catfishin_Farm_Boy New Member

State:
    Sevierville, TN
    I use 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle Hooks...

4. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    gammy 8/0 that's what I hear works so thats what I use:wink:

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    You will like the 8/0 team catfish double action hooks. I also like the 10/0 owners but they are a little pricey. Just got some 10/0 and 11/0 cicle hooks from wild wolf products and so far I like them for large baits along with the 9/0 and 10/0 kahles.

6. Skammer

Skammer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    I use the 4/0 & 5/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks & never had a problem hooking or holding the channels. If I use large chunks I make sure the hooks are not burried in the bait. I like to hook the bait so that most of the hook is exposed.

7. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I've been using some mustad demon circle with good success.

8. Fishing Addict

Fishing Addict Member

State:
    Spring Church, Pa
    Ive been using the gamagatsu 7/0 & 8/0 Octopus circle hooks, big enough gap for big gills, I looked at the mustad 7/0 catfish circle hooks IMO I thought they were way to small for flats but I'll always use the gamagatsu hooks. The price aint to bad either Cabelas has the 7/0 at 2.69 per 6 in the master fishing catalog.

9. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I just got a big box of the Eagle Claw 8/0 Circles. They seem like they are going to do the trick. I don't like using the real big hooks cause it stresses the bait.

10. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Alex gave me 1 of those double action catfish connection circle and they were pretty awesome

11. FLATHEAD LBER

FLATHEAD LBER New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh PA
    try some mustad HOODLUM 4X they blow everything else away.there not a circle

12. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    I've used 6/0 Gamy's for year's now, I also pinch the barb's down for easy release. I really dont think I lose any fish that way eather. I'm talkin Chanel's now we dont have flat's up here.

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I like mustad too-Big gun in 8/0 & 92671,s in 4/0 thru 10/0.They,re not circles either. Circles -love em or hate em.:eek:oooh:

14. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I like the Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks. I have them in all sizes from 2/0 up to 8/0 according to the bait I'm using.

15. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I have a variety,I have Team catfish 8/0 ,Gamakatsu 8/0 ,VMC 8/0 Eagle claw 7/0 they all work eagle claws are the cheapest I might order more of those unless I break or bend one

16. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Well I was in love with the owner 10/o circle hooks but I finally found what i was looking for. mustad 39948Z 12/0 circle hooks. its a perfect size for what i'm looking for. Has a big gap on it and its big for my cut bait.:wink::roll_eyes:

Attached Files:

17. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    these are what i have the most success with too

18. Skammer

Skammer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    Looks like a great hook. That should do the job for you. Good luck & we'll be looking for a report.

19. rhuffman

rhuffman New Member

State:
    pa
    After reading all the posts I went to check out the gamakatsu 8/0 everyones talkin about. They look pretty impressive. My buddy picked up a mixed pack 5 8/0 & 5 6/0 circles and ten others for 11 bucks. Seems like a pretty fair price to me. I'll be picking up the same pack myself this weekend.

20. outdoorX

outdoorX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Let me let you guys in on a little secret, i adopted this setup from salt water anglers and it works pretty good. you all are worried about your hooks being to big and killing you gills. so heres what i do. i start off by snelling a 4 ought diachi red hook. then with my leader about 3 or 4 inches abour that i snell on a 8/0 circle hook. with my gill i take a needle of a semi decent size and i run 3 stiches through the top of his back. about a quarter to 3/8 in, just like tunna and marlin guides do. I use 50lb dacron fishing line. the small holes wont hurt the fish. andwith three stiches you distribute the stress on the bait when you cast. i run the hook under 2 strands and then stick the hook through the 3 strand so it wont come out. when the fish is in the water the hook lays down but when you go to reel down on a hit it will stand out. the trailer hook then gets placed right behind the back fin barley hooked since this hook dont carry the weight of the bait when casted it dosent need to be hooked deep. and it helps out when little fish are barley hitting the bait.