Circle hooks with live bait?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by hunterhnc20, Jun 2, 2009.

1. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    My question is directed toward Flathead fishing. When using live bait ( say 5" to 10" bait) with a circle hook for flatheads what do you do? Do you still let the rod load up with the bait clicker off or do you set the bait clicker on, let him run a little bit, then turn the clicker off and let him load it up to hook his self? I do the second method even if I am using a large piece of cut bait but Im just wonder.

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I prefer the first method.

3. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just use 10 ft rods and saltwater spinen reels. I let em just pull em down when fishen with circle hooks or octo hooks. I do use a clicker on my 309 and broom stick but I use a slow sweep to hang the fish.

4. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    Thanks for the replies. You guys are using big live bait for flatheads, right? I'm always afraid that they wont have the hook in their mouth and when the rod loads up it would pull the big bait out when no fish on my hook.

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    this is a post i have posted bout ten times within seven years, heres my take, clikers and circals do not mix well, dont do it, i like king kaels for flatheads, nevr miss one,you can use a cliker to, trust me, their is one problem, one problem, ive never had but heard, if your drag is supper tight they will bend, now on the circals with live bait i never get a hookup, and i should, so i encorge any body to take to polls and try tight lining gamas vs king kaels, and see who the winner is, me i dont tightline much, i clikk with kaels, , keep in mind this is for flatheads not blues, thats a differant ballgame thats basebal, flats are football, hope this helps some bros

6. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Personally I tighten my drag about halfway so that line moves but it takes some effort. Then I set my clicker once they are running I turn off the clicker and let them set themselves. I don't use circles anymore though I prefer Kahle hooks. I really dislike circle hooks with live bait because it is hard to find one with wide enough gap to work well with live bait.

7. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    then he wasent big enough to grab the bait lol.

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I have to admit that I'm confused what people mean about using the clicker. To me its a " line out alarm "...and that only. I use mine while I'm kicking back in the dark or on a boat with 12 rods out, this helps me follow what rod is going down faster in the dark.

I always set my drag hard enough to where it wont snap my line in the holders, with the reel engaged and clicker on. When the rod slaps over I do the typical circle hook set methods. I automatically turn my clicker off as I pick up the rod. If I see a fish tapping and I'm already standing there I will turn the clicker off then instead. I just hate hearing a clicker while reeling in.

Am I missing something or is this what some of you guys do also. Basically I'm saying the clicker is my alarm and nothing more.

-Jim-

9. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    clicker on then reel down on em :wink:

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    so you can use circals in freespool i thought they wouldent work that way

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Let the rod load up when using circles with live bait.

12. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Circles are a channel and bluecat tool while fishing with cutbait. imo.
    learn how to use jerk hooks properly including how to recognise a take before hearing your clicker- which means your undivided attention to your rod tip and line.... learn setting your hook properly, hooking your bait right, etc. ... you must put all these things together and fishing is more "work" but you will hook more of the flatties that touch your bait if you do everything else right. You may also find that alot of those times you thought were turtles jerking you around, were really flatties.:wink:
    I am amazed at the popularity circle hooks have gained among flathead fisherman.... that is something I'll never know why (I think I do really though).thier mouth structure and the way they take bait just don't favor this type of hook. I have seen BOC buddies miss oppertunities using circles that I knew were flatties takes and simply blame it on the way the flatheads were biting that night!

13. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    I agree with drpepper,I use khales and alot of times the flats wont always take off with it.They lay there and eat it, barely flexin the rod tip.This spring my brother caught a 45 lber that bit the same way a 8 lber bit a hour earlier.They both mouthed the 5 inch gills and never took off.If you can feel a fish you can usually set the hook on em with khales.:wink:

14. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I agree with Bill & matt!I,m a J hook man myself.I,ve usually got my eyes on my line and know when somethings up long before my clickers gone off.I,d say about 1/3 of my fish are hooked while they,re comin toward me.With the J hooks and my rod in my hands,I can reel with him and set the hook when i feel he,s got it.This is why I like the sensitivity of braid so much.:wink:

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    now yall confusing me, my methed was king kaels clikkers on, then wen it runs pick up engage set hook, now im thinking circals tightlined, lol, what is the poll on what methed to use. thers three main ways clikers with kaels, cirkal or kael tightlined, im triying all of them, but i got to feel the bite bfore setting a kael, i let it tuug good