Circle hooks with chicken livers

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by redneckdrum, Jun 8, 2006.

1. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    I nitefish for cat's at a lake in Missouri every Saturday nite.For some reason they only bait they bite on is fresh chicken liver's.Like everyone else in my situation,I use treble hook's for liver's,I wrap thread around the liver/hook to keep it on there and it does a fantastic job holding it on the hook(I tried the pantyhose/cheesecloth-wrapped liver but for some reason,it doesen't work where I fish,why,I dont know) OK,heres the problem,these cat's I catch are so gluttonous that everyone of them swallow the treble hook's which can & do produce fatal result's to the small one's I throw back.I experimented at the house wrapping liver with thread on a circle hook and it looks like it holds secure.Would this technique work in real-time catfishing? Would the liver be so bulky that it would interfere with the circle hooks purpose? What do y'all suggust? I guess it don't HAVE to be a circle hook.What other hook's would you recommend for liver if not circle hook's? I've also tried the 'liver hook's' that look like a safety pin (BIG JOKE!)

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have had great success with liver and circle hooks! Be sure to leave the point exposed!

3. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Use Circle Hooks But Instead Of Using Thread, Use Small Rubberbands To Hold The Liver On. I Do It All The Time Like This & It Works Good For Me.

4. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I have used this circle hook method with both the thread and small rubberbands. Works great in lakes, but no way does it stand up to fast moving water in rivers. Do make sure the tip is exposed and you should be alright!!!

Another thing we have tried is gutting a large blue gill and filling him with fresh chicken liver and sewing him up. This is something new for us, but damn we have had some amazing hits!!! might give that a try

5. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea gavel i alsways wondered about filling the cavity of a baitfish up with stink or livers for an extra effect
    sounds like its working for you

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Instead of using chicken liver try raw chicken like trimmings of fat gristle or chunks of chicken with some gristle. it stays on circle hooks pretty good.:cool2:

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Liver on an 8/0 octopus circle hook works fine for me in the river. I'm not bashfull with the thread either. I use an elastic thread sold at A/C Moore in the sewin section.

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    If you use liver and thread, be sure to clean it off your hook before it drys! Liver+Magic Thread+ drying= Epoxy! I try to clean all the thread off each time I rebait. It's a pain, but it only gets worse each time.
    The idea of stuffing a perch with stink bait would probably work, but I dont think it be any better then the baits being used individually, but if you try it let me know how you do!:smile2:

9. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I've used it on my limblines with some success, they hit almost exclusively live bluegill around here, i've just did that some nights when i didnt have much bait catching time. Circles are the only thing I use on my limblines b/c I fish within seeing distance and that way I can release any large fish immediately without any swallowing or unecessary deaths.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I use circles and liver all the time, but don't do any fancy wrappings. Just use a thumb size or little larger piece of liver and run it through with the hook.

11. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I use circle hooks all the time with FRESH liver and never have had to wrap it with anything to keep it on. Key word here is FRESH, if you have frozen liver it will still work but it will be harder to keep on and more of it will be unusable. With FRESH liver just be sure to thread the liver onto the hook being extra carefully to get the point through the membrane part of the liver every time and thread it through don't rip that skin like membrane that is on the outside of the liver. I'm not talking about the fat and grissel stuff but the paper thin skin around liver. We fish the Big Sioux River, the Missouri River and several lakes with just FRESH liver and have no problem what so ever. I have watched people load up the liver on a hook and just put it on not being careful and they throw it off when they cast. I cast the same as if I had a worm on and never throw off my liver but I'm careful on how I put it on.

12. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I use Liver on circle hooks all the time... usually 2/0 and 4/0 but on some bodies of water i'll use 6/0's... as long as you don't really throw it hard with too soft a rod or just too hard in general the livers stay on pretty well. i've made 50 yard+ casts with liver on to using the right rod and cutting the liver fairly small...

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    The only hooks, I have use for livers is treble ooks maybe I will try the circles with the liver tie on the hook.

14. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I've experimented with a variety of hook styles using liver, but I'm sold on that elastic thread! That stuff is cheap, it WORKS, and it's relatively easy to use. Tried the nylon bag gimmick too, but I had issues with the hooks not punching through it far enough to set a hook properly on the fish and lost a lot of good hits that way.