Circle hooks with a bait clicker?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Rich.Carpenter, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I understand the conventional thinking about the way circle hooks should be used. However, I really like the functionality of my bait clicker.

Does anyone here use circle hooks with a bait clicker? How does it work for you? Is there anything special you do to make it work, or do you fish it just like you would without a clicker (except with a free spool, maybe)?

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I SECOND THIS QUESTION

i use a clicker on one of my rods with circles but i dotn catch anything lol

3. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    yea I tried it for a week or so.....lost most fish. didnt try it free spool. just started locking it down. there could be an advantage to khales when it comes to bait clickers.

4. 2quikmotorwerks

2quikmotorwerks New Member

State:
    murda valley CA
    at nite i use my clickers when i fish circles, but i only use it as a indicator only as soon as i hear it go off i turn clicker off and engage reel then let it load up and i'll do a sweep of the rod 8 out of 10 times the fish will be on, during the day i dont use the clicker i fish locked and loaded

5. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You can use a bait clicker with circle hooks, it just takes a specific technique. When I do this I like my drag to be a bit looser than if I was using a J-hook. I just let the fish run until he has a hold of the hook then engage your reel and let the rod load up. Don't swoop it back or set the hook, just engage the reel and let the rod do the work. Once the rod is loading up just reel in and they are usually hooked. I like my drag to be a bit loose so when the rod is loading up it doesn't just jerk it out of the fishes mouth. One the pole is loaded and the fish is hooked tighten the drag up to your normal fishing.

Another technique is to turn on the clicker but don't leave the spool in free spool, just use the clicker for the sound. Set your drag so light that a fish can pull it just like it was in free spool. When you get a cat running just tighten your drag until it is hooked. I used this technique a lot before I used baitcasters and clickers. This is a very effective way to hook them once you learn it.

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Ill loosen my drag and give it a shot

7. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    If you have a stout clicker, it'll hook up small cats no problem, even in free spool. I usually do as niko explained. Maybe 2# of drag and clicker on. They're hooked when you pick the pole up. If they take 4-6' of line, which is a nice sound on the clicker, they are usually hooked up. If they just bounce the pole, wait.

Too much drag is actually a hinderance to hooking up with circles imo.

8. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I just leave mine locked down.............where are ya gonna let the fish run to??

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    like said if you want to use your clicker in freespool use it as suggested just use it untill you get a bite then engauge the spool and let the rod load and the circle set its self. they wont have the pressure needed in freespool to set but once your clicker goes off you know hes there and your gonna watch your pole so engauage reel and watch for the rod to stay down.and fish on

10. kingkat82

kingkat82 New Member

State:
    Central KS
    Thanks fellas I was planning on using some circles this weekend for the first time and I feel about 300% more confident now about it! :big_smile: I was under the impression for whatever reason that a pretty tight drag with a tight line was the way to go

11. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    I used to run the baitclicker real loose but I was losing a lot of fish, the way I like the most is to have the baitrunner set just a lil bit looser than your main drag but tight enough than it loads up a lil before lettin out line.

12. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    for flatheads yes I use them, what I do is when my click goes off I will turn the clicker off but not engage the reel and let em take a lil more line then I put light pressure with my thumb on the spool to start letting the rod load, engage the reel and start reeling as fast as I can until I feel the fish. It hasn't worked really well for me when I've been channel cat fishing with cutbait tightlining has been the most productive there but for flathead this has worked very well for me. plus I haven't lost anymore poles lol:smile2:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  13. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I always use the baitclicker at night with circle hooks. I just leave it engaged and loose the drag just loose enough for a nice fish to take drag. Tha will make it tight enough for the cicle hook to work, loose enough to take out line and not brk the line while its in the holer:big_smile:

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    it is so to speak. i use a drag that is fairly hard to pull out by hand and a good rod holder witch is the way to go. they were asking how to imply their clicker into this equation. and the best way is to use it for a bite indicater only, then after you know your getting a bite, engauge the reel going to a fairly tight drag and tight line and make sure your pole dont go anywere.

15. Winkstr

Winkstr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use to use the bait clicker with circle hooks and cut bait. I use a closed face reel like a Zebco 888. The problem I had was the times that they would hit it like a freight train, it would cause a back lash into the spool. I now use a light drag and tighten the drag as they run with it. I have found the best way to set the drags is this: Start with a tight drag - you should not be able to pull any string out of the reel. Counting the number of turns loosen the drag so that it is fairly easy to come out. (Say 1 1/2 turns). When you have a good hit, while it is running tighten the drag down just short of the 1 1/2 turns. Hook is usually set now and fine tune the drag from here as needed. This has worked well from fish 3 lbs and on. smaller ones may not be able to pull the drag. On these small ones that can't pull your drag, you tighten the drag down before trying to hook these.

Has worked great for blue cats up to 75lbs (PB).

16. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    I use circles all the time with my buttons in and my clickers on. Never have any problems hooking up. Caught 9 Sat night 9/12/09 and missed 2. One 28# and the rest between 10-15#er's. Using live gills. And I wouldn't blame the two misses on my hooks but more my delayed response. As soon as that clicker starts "TALKING" to me I just engage the reel and pick the rod up all in one motion as I go to set the hook. But I would definatly say I'm locking that reel a split-second before I'm actually drawing back any on the rod.

17. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    I understand the purpose of clickers, but i use a head lamp and im always looking at my rods so i dont need the clickers at night. I just dont want to chance losing the fish.

18. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i never had luck frespoling circals, lost a big cat the other day doing that, they got to turn the head to get hooked, so i tightline all cirkals, freespool kaels

19. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Jim/ winkster whats that flathead weigh in your avatar? 75-85lb maybe.

Nice fish and welcome to the BOC..:wink:

20. Barillms

Barillms New Member

State:
    Steubenville OH
    I like this... the clicker will alert you of quick tugs, yet if a monster comes along you wont lose your rod. Yet, it still allows the rod to load and work properly with a circle hook.

Ive just recently switched to clicker OFF mode, and letting the rod do the work is difficult after years of hook setting. This method allows you to walk away from your poles, talk, go pee, or rebait without fear of losing gear.

Good input