Circle Hooks/Weights

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by HARVRAD2003, Mar 5, 2006.

1. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I will be buying some hooks and weights here pretty soon, will probably go with the circle hooks and not sure on the weights. Saw some bank sinkers from catfish connection thought I'd try some, they seem to be the cheapest. I normally use pyramid sinkers in the 3 oz. size, of course I don't river fish much though. What would be a good overall size sinker to use for any job, and what would be a good size for the river. Also what is the right size circle hook for channels and or blues/flats, figure I'd be catching more blues unless I go to Alton Illinois and fish around the river.

2. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    In regards to weight size, I would recommend that you get a selection of sizes if you want versatility. It really depends on how your fishing. How strong the current is (if any). And how big your bait is and if its live or not.
    Typically you want to go with Bigger wieghts in faster current and large live bait.
    If your fishing a lake from shore using cut bait. Then you probaly would go considerably less wieght, just enough to get it to the bottom.
    And then you have all kinds of set ups in between.

In regards to the hooks. your size hook will be in relation to the size of the fish your going for. Its okay to err on the larger size with hooks unless your absolutly certain that there are no big fish

I hope this helps out.

3. catfish_cook

catfish_cook New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i would go with no roll sinkers there pretty cheap and wieght i use 1 1/2 oz. good fish my freind :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :) :) :)

4. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Thanks guys, figure I'll get a few 6 oz. for river and smaller possibley 2-4 oz. for regular fishing. Normally I use the pyramids when I'm fishing for channels but I also thought about the no roll sinkers for catting. I bougt some circle hooks a yr. ago, 3 pkg. of 3,4 and 5 oz. hooks, I also use treble hooks when fishing for channels usually #10-#12 the bait I use is GENO'S Stink bait that I buy in Carlyle Illinois, have had luck with it for about a yr or so, take it usually wherever I go and I usually can catch some on the stink bait with my trebbles even when liver or crawlers don't work.