Circle Hooks VS J Hooks!

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Chestdeep, May 15, 2007.

1. Chestdeep

Chestdeep New Member

State:
    Jackson County Alabama
    Can any of you tell me if theres any advantages of using circle hooks over J hooks? I have allways used J hooks but was told that larger cats are hooked better on circle hooks. I very rarely catch anything over 15 pounds and wonder if this might have anything to do with it. I tend to use chicken liver or shad as bait and fish the north eastern part of the tenn river.

2. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    there has been much discussion earlier but since you are new you may not have seen any.

I like circle hooks 5/0-9/0 for big cats. the circle hook is desined for fishing bigger bait and live bait to where the catfish sucks the bait into it's mouth and then it takes off with the bait and your drag is thight on reel, the hook slides up the mouth and hooks the fish in the side of the mouth.

I use j's for smaller bait and fish. I went to circles with larger bait (suckers, livers, shad )

hope this helps.

3. Chestdeep

Chestdeep New Member

State:
    Jackson County Alabama
    So theres no need in setting the hook with a circle?

4. Chestdeep

Chestdeep New Member

State:
    Jackson County Alabama
    So theres no need in setting the hook with a circle?

5. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    nope, when the fish runs and the drag is tight, he bends the rod and the hook is set.

I put the rod in rod holder or brace it and when it bends and pulls line , the hook comes up and sets in the side of fishes mouth.

no setting,

hope you catch the big one..

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    imo the circle's the way to go, because when the hook is set i know it's not coming off. 99% of my hooks are in the corner of the mouth or in the middle of the lip. the other 1% are in my fingers from trying to unbait a hook! you just need to unlearn the hookset. i still use tru turns when freespooling in cold water though!

by the way, nice woodies in your avatar, and welcome to the boc!

7. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    this is just my opinion , but from what i have expierianced . initially no
    you dont want to set the hook,but instead apply resistance to the line
    by slowly raiseing the rod tip or as some do they sweep the tip sideways (gently) and this positions the hook into the corner of the mouth(usually)
    heres where i do it differently .
    once i know the hook is in position then i do "set the hook" just to seal the deal.

one thing about ANY hook is sharpness
    if you aint got a sharp hook your not going to have aqs much success as
    you could because a cats mouth is pretty tough and razorsharp point is going to be neccessary to have great success.
    if your missing strikes try sharpening your hooks.

i like circles and i also like j's i'm middle of the road with kahles lately.

also try useing a slow tipped rod (very whippy action) for a circle hook it seems to work best for me. i like to use a slip bobber set up with circles and a slow tip rod

8. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    not only do you not have to set a circle hook, you SHOULD not set them. A circle hook works from constant steady pressure, not fast/hard pressure of a hookset. They take some getting used to but are great-they have better hook up ratios and the percentage of fish that swallow them, i.e. die, is much much lower.

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    ok here we go

circle hooks are for people who are fish freindly
    i prefer to set the hook i want the fish to know im there before he starts his run besides the hook gap on a 9/0 j is larger than that of a circle of the same size

circles are designed to not hook the fish any where but the corner of the mouth limiting hook sets , take a circle try to get it to hook the side of your hand it wont happen , but dont dare try that with a j . a j hook will hook the fish any where the point makes contact with flesh . how many fish have you caught that were hooked in the roof of the mouth or in the lower lip . a big fish will have a big lip that that small gap circle hook just cant grab

to each his own but il stick with what has proven itself fish after fish

10. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Go to the "Libary" plz. Theres times the "Circles" will not work.

:wink:

11. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California