Circle hooks or Regular fishing Hooks - Which do you go fishing with?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by TheRiverRat, Jul 25, 2008.

Circle hooks or not

1. Circle hooks

2. Regualer hooks

3. doesnt matter

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    Do you use circle hooks or regular hooks tell wich u use

2. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    i use circle hooks beause they have a higher hook up ratio and you dont loose them once theyre hooked

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    If they are used properly from what I understand. I use khales or J's for the simple fact I dont want to have to relearn something. I like to set the hook on my squealers LOL so that is why I use what I do.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Me too! Give me Khales or J's anyday. Not setting the hook takes half the fun out of it. Circles you just reel them in.....Doesn't sound like much fun to me.:confused2:
    I didn't vote, not sure what a regular hook is???:confused2:

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I prefer the Kahles myself because I like to set the hook hard. With circles you have to stand anciously by and hope the fish gets itself hooked.

6. ouachita

ouachita New Member

State:
    Texas
    I haven't tried circles yet. Figure that I will get too excited with a bite on a circle and try to set the hook anyway. :roll_eyes:

7. BrandXHogFan

BrandXHogFan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I use circles when I am having a hard time hooking up but I really like the True Turn catfish hooks in the 2/0. Nine times out of 10 they set right in the corner of the mouth.

8. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    i use both. circle hooks works well with cut bait,but i like regular hooks with live bigger baits. but i will use whatever i have.

9. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    take it from me fellas, i used to be the same way. i was so stubborn. i would always say "not me, no way, i love setting the hook and i don't wanna have to relearn the whole way i fish" but guess what....hooked up the first time i ever tried. if you let the clicker pull, then just put your thumb on the spool, wait for it to pull, then think of it as a "soft hook set" just lift up smoothly.

i have a slower hook set by nature so it really wasn't that much different.

oh, and the reason i switched?...i switched souly because i had hooked a few flathead in the guts. i said thats it, time to switch to circles.

10. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    8/0 circle hook, my choice.

11. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    if im fishin for like smaller eatin fish ill use j hooks cuz if if i gut hook em it dont matter cuz im eatin them but if fishin for bigger fish and gonna release em ill use circle and if id fish a tourney id use circle

12. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    I've been using circles this year and I like them. If I had to choose only one, it would be the khales I've caught plenty of fish on them without having to set the hook. Usually when I have my hooks in the water and realize I have forgotten something, walk to the van, come back to find a fish running off with my line. :crazy::big_smile_2:

13. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    depends what I am fishing i am using circle hooks or laser sharp larger adberdeen hooks for the gills or no 6 laser sharp treble hooks by eagle claw for chicken livers of night crawlers myself rick

14. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i like circles for pretty much everything.when i get a run on one,i lock the reel,let him tighten on the line good,and bring the rod up kinda moderately,chances are,he is already hooked anyway by the time you even bring the rod up,i do this because i i couldn't give up setting the hook also.

15. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I use circles for Channels and Blues, Octopus for Live bait (Flatheads mostly)

2 very different hook and fishing styles. On a given day, situation and species, either may outfish the other. When fish are aggressive, there is not a better hook for actually CATCHING fish than a circle (8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle w/ offset)

16. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I've debated over and over in my mind if I could get used to not setting a hook, So I stick to king kahle or Gamakatsu octopus hooks, Now for my wife who is new to fishing I will put a circle hook on her rig as she doesnt have the nack for hook setting.:wink:

17. BACKWOODSBOY350

BACKWOODSBOY350 New Member

State:
    COLORADO
    KAHLE HOOKS ( WISKER STICKERS ) WORK AMAZING

18. JKrupp

JKrupp New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I haven't used any but I did buy a few packs of the circle hooks to test out. I generally use Kahle hooks and I guess that would be considered a regular hook since there were only 2 options on this poll.

19. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    we used them for the first time three weeks ago. we caught some nice fish. two 15lb flatheads were the biggest. we caught eight or ten in the five to ten pound range. the fish were hammering the bait. in this situation the fish was usually hooked by the time you picked up the rod. i was impressed with these hooks.(8/0 circles) however last weekend we went and the bigger fish wasn't biting and the bite was softer. these hooks didn't work as well. we switched back to kahles on some of the rods. in certain situations these hooks are very impressive. from now on i will carry both kahles and circles. btw i had no problem not jerking. my buddy, he is having a lot harder time adjusting.

20. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    i have been using the circles for a lil while and have to say they are GREAT for a good hook in the corner of the mouth but i did however have a channel swallow the hook and lets just say it was not easy to get out so i cut the line and let him swim off..:smile2:..at least if i catch him again i will recognize the hook..:smile2::wink:..