Circle hooks or KAHLE hooks for big flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Nov 2, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    IVE READ A FEW POST IN THE PAST THAT SOME WILL RUN OUT OF SOME SIZE CIRCLE AND GO WITH SMALLER ONES BUT GET GUTTERS!!!!!!!

SO I WANT TO ASK WHAT SIZE CIRCLE/ KAHLE HOOKS DO YOU USE FOR FLATHEADS???????

AND ALSO....... KAHLES CAN BE USED AS CIRCLES RIGHT ???????????????

LeRoy

2. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    When fishing for flatheads I choose to use a 6/0 or 7/0 Kahle hook. This is because I am fishing for fish in the 20 to 40 pound range with an occasional really big fish. I am not comfortable with circle hooks. I like to really set the hook. Hope this helps.

3. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I don't fish for flats,but I do use both hooks. My preference is gamakatsu Octopus circles,5/0-8/0. You can still get a good hookset with these.

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I use 5/0-10/0 Kahles for flatheads, depending on the size of bait I use. I use them 90% of the time. They work extremely well as a self setting hook but you have the option to set the hook yourself should the situation arise. I do use cirlces for them occasionaly when fishing really tight to cover. They seem to snag less in wood cover.

5. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

I too use both Kahle and circles depending on the situation.( or what's already on the rod):smile2:I like Eagle Claw Lazor Kahles in 7/0 and 10/0,and Gamakatsu circles in 8/0 and 10/0. I like the circles when they're real aggresive and the kahle when they're just gumming and smashing my bait that way I can rip them.

6. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    IM LOOKING AT SOME 8/0 CIRCLES FROM SOME SALTWATER TACKLE DEALERS OFF EBAY

THE CENTER WILL LET A QUARTER FIT NICLEY IN IT SO I THINK ITS PLENTY BIG ENOUGH!!!!

AND ALSO IM REALLY LOOKING AT KAHLES BECASUE I THINK IVE HERD THEY ARE MULTI PURPUSE LIKE Dave0088- SAID AND THE MORE I THINK THAT MISS COULD BE THE FISH OF A LIKE TIME.........

I THOUGHT ABOUT TREBLES BECASUE I KEEP 99%OF MY FISH BUT CIRCLES COULD INCREASE MY CHANCE OF UNEXPECTEDLY GETTING ONE THEN IM BUSY DOING SOMETHING ON THE BOAT:tounge_out:

IM GETTING READY FOR WINTER FLAT FISHING CAUSE I GOT PLANS TO MAKE A GILL TRAP WHEN WERE GETTING READY TO STRIPER FISH I CAN SET THE TRAP AND LET THE GILLS BUILD UP:wink:

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use almost all 4/0 or 5/0 kahle hooks, occasionally go to a 3/0 for a small sunfish. I leave the reel engaged with the rod in the holder and virtually all flatheads hook themselves either in the corner of the mouth or lips.

8. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use size 5 to 10 Kahle hooks. I tried circle hooks this year and just missed to many fish. If the fish ain't on the hit and run then in my opinion the circle hooks are not worth anything. With a Kahle hook you get the best of both worlds, If they hit and run, a Kahle hook works just like a circle and hooks them right in the corner of the mouth. If they are just on the one hit wonder , then you can also set the hook and catch them too. I know there are a lot of guys on here that use circle hooks but they just aren't for me at all. If your using big live bait or large cut bait use a Kahle 7 and up. I hope this helps, Matt AKA DESODE

9. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
  10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    A friend of mine recently gave me some 7/0-10/0 Kahles... I'm starting to really like those!!
    They seem to work similar to circles, which I'm not particularly fond of, but, have had success with(8/0)
    I suppose it's because I can still set the hook with Kahles. or leave them alone, then they seem to work like circles.. Like the versatility..