Circle Hooks/Kahle hooks from the Bank

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by river1214rat, Oct 25, 2007.

1. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    I love these hooks when fishing from the boat; however had a hard time using circle hooks today fishing from the bank. Got several hits, but could not hook them. I know you do not have to set them, which is easy in the boat however, seems like that is harder to do from the river bank. :0a28: Please help...

Linda

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Linda....let em run..... just might have a "shaker" on there....let em run and then let the hook do the trick.... what you using for bait?

bayrunner ray

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    If you have a place on the bank that you can set your poles up so they are solid then the circles should work fine. If not set your clickers and use kahles and jerk hard to set the hook when you get a runner.

4. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    I'm using shad; I was holding my pole because the Ohio river came up quite a bit few days ago and now is going down, leaving soft mud and sand. I was afraid it would be too soft to hold the pole harder so I sat on a tree that had floated in and held the rod. Just started using these hooks as I usually fish from a boat; can't get the boat out yet as the current is too fast and too much debrie yet in the water.

5. brandonleeraab

brandonleeraab New Member

State:
    louisiana
    just used kahle hooks today for the first time . I was fishing from the bank and almost every fish set the hook by itself. caught 19. very happy with these hooks :big_smile:

6. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Linda I would recommend using a rod holder when fishing with circles, if this is not possible then I would use kahles.

7. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Linda,
    I was introduced to the kahle 10/0 hook today. Let me tell ya, I'm sold. The blues were simply hammering the shad, smoking the bait clickers and almost everytime I got a good solid hook. I hear tell that the circle hooks are designed to let the fish hook themselves, myself id rather try to jerk'em out of the water on the hook set..lol Good luck with whatever you try..rspd507

8. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I agree with Ross ... i like the whole point in jerking hard and setting the hook on something that doesnt move when u do ... thats when u know u got the bigun.

9. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    There is no reason for the circles to work while holding your pole but you must hold it until the fish loads your rod.
    Jake

10. enfausen

enfausen New Member

State:
    Indiana (Rising Sun)
    Linda, I was on the river with Ross, and I will have to say that he is correct. The large kahle hooks he was using were landing the fish every time. When he first showed me the hooks, I was a little reserve about using such a large hook, but i'm sold on them now.

Circle hooks are fine if your rod is in a secure holder, but if you have to hold it use the Kahle and set the hook, and hold on. LOL