Circle Hooks? - I seem to be losing fish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Tommy Davis, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Tommy Davis

Tommy Davis New Member

My hook up ratio isn't that great. It seems when I can find the fish, they end up spitting the hook out before it sets. I use 7/0 and 8/0 circle hooks with a 7000 abu garcia reel. I let the bait runner go for about 5 to 10 seconds before I click the handle for the drag to grab and thats normally when they release the bait. Maybe I need different hooks, maybe I need to hook up live bait and or cut bait in different locations. any help!!!

Tommy Davis

2. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    With circles don't let the fish run with the bait. Use rod holders and have you drag set on the light side let the rod double over and the hook will be set 80% of the time. I call circles a lazy mans hook cuz you don't have to set it the fish does this.

Doug

3. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This is how I fish with the circles. I fish with the line taught and handle engaged. However, what I do is set the drag till it will feed with a medium pull from the reel with my hand. Then I turn the clicker on and leave it engaged(not freespooled). I allow the fish to "load up" the rod(bends toward the water). Then it may start peeling line off the drag at this point depending on how light you set it. I then pick it up and start reeling. No jerking required here. Then adjust drag as needed to land the fish.

:0a26: ​

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Switch to kahles, that is what I did. You won't be sorry!!!

5. Tommy Davis

Tommy Davis New Member

Thanks for the feed back!! I do use rod holders and when my bait runner goes off i just click my handle which then my drag will kick in. If the fish is still on, the rod will be bent to the waters edge. I know when I have a live eel on a line and I finally get that run, it seems like i never get a hook up because there so slimy. That drag grabs and those guys just slide right out of there mouths!!! What kind of hooks is a kahles? Thanks again and remember to check your safety equipment before you go out!! Be safe
    Tommy Davis

6. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    I tried circles and fish with guys that use circles. Not impressed. I went back to J hooks. I use egal claw 067 in 8/0 on a 6 to 8" dropper loop, 60 to 80 lb mono bottom rig. You can set the hook or let the rod holder do it. Most the time I still slam it home. Hook up and hit ratio a lot better with this rig. Bait is held off the bottom anywhere from 2" to 8" and looks to be swimming in the current. Never have had a gut hooked fish in the last 3 years of using this rig. That was the whole reason for the circle hook to begin with is not to gut hook a fish you were going to release.

7. TexasCatfish

TexasCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was a bit skeptical when I first heard about them, but they are just about all that I use now. They seem to work a lot better in river conditions though, because there is always a chance that the fish will swim towards you. I fish them with a tight line, unless I'm using a slip float, but in that case I've never had a problem with hook ups at all.

8. Rapp-Catter-06

Rapp-Catter-06 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have fished with all types of hooks over the years and found that when fishing with circles my hook up rate is about 80-90%. Keep in mind that some rigs are better than others for using them. And pay close attention to how your bait is hooked. You need to show as much hook as possible for them to work properly.

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Kahles are a compromise between Js and circles.Wider gap ,set the hook or not ,up to you.I use them exclusively yet have caught tons of fish with circles also.The problem might be the bait.Don't know how long an eel you are using but most catfish approach from the rear in current or when drift fishing.It is easy to mouth 11 inches of a 12inch eel and not get hooked if the hook is in the last inch or head.You might try cutting the eel into chunks.Someone on here addressed this problem a while back so you might go to the library and look under catfish baits.One of the NC guys uses eels a lot and had a good idea but I can't remember who.You might try threading the hook further back in to the eel or rig a two hook rig.The new NC record flathead was caught on a 14 inch eel by the way.:)

10. edwin5050

edwin5050 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I use circle octopus hooks. They have a wider gap and I use the offset point. I tie up a two hook rig with 3 to 6 inches between hooks depending on bait size. The back hook acts like a stinger hook so it doesn't matter if he takes it from either end or in the middle. It took me a long time to break the habit of jerking. I just let him load it up. Our fish here seem to be timid and if they feel anything strange they seem to spit it out and go away.

11. bluecatmaster

bluecatmaster New Member

State:
    oh
    ok my name is travis but really blue so you say that you loose alot of fish ok then you should use 8/0 thats what i use so instead of just winding it in i no thats what your suppose to do but i set the hook and then reel it in i fish for big trophy cats at ******** ok

12. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Man I love circles! It took some getting used to since I used to use nothing but Kahles and its hard not to grab the rod and lay into the hook set. Now I use nothing but Gamakatsu 8/0 circles and they work great. I am trying out some Frenzy circles that were given to me by a local guide. I think the Daichi circles with their wider gap might be a better choice but they are a bit pricey. I have taken at least three people fishing who are loyal Kahle hook users and consistantly had more hookups fishing the same bait in the same water. It is important to learn how to properly hook the bait because if it gets between the barb and the shank you won't get a hook set. To each his own but mine is CIRCLES!

13. bluecatmaster

bluecatmaster New Member

State:
    oh
    i can help you what you should do is set the hook and then reel your catch in its not that diffcult though i perfer to set the hook any way though even though it is a circle hook i use 8/0 ultra point demon circle hooks they work great i caught 2 nice size channels on two diffrent poles in one day but i said forget reeling only set then reel cause i have lost some trophys by trying just to reel screw that set it hard and hold on 4 the fight wat kind of bait do you use for big cats

14. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Tommy lock your reel down and tight line. When the rod loads up, reel fast or just make a slow sweep to the side. I had trouble the first year I tried them but this year I have done well thanks to information gained here at BOC.:)

15. TIGER44

TIGER44 New Member

State:
    MANSFIELD. TEXAS
    use a greater offset hook

16. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    just don't set the hook , don't let them run free either...just start leaning on them....you'll get a feel for them and once you start getting better hook ups you'll notice that they wont be throwing the hooks like they sometimes do other hook styles...the only way to loose them then is to break the line or pull their lips off..lol...good luck

17. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Get used to it brother!!!
    Kahles are the best of both worlds!!!

18. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Sure can't argue that point with ya JW...tried those also...I seem to get an even better hook up ratio and they do it to themselves so far. Starting to really love those Kahles. Was using 7/0 and just ordered the 10/0 because even the smaller fish were being caught on the 7/0.

19. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    switch to khales your livewell will look better with fish in it.

20. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Wow! I find it interesting that people are so divided on opinions of circles hooks and kahles. It's like 50% use circles and 50% trust kahles. From what I understand about circles is that the flex of the rod in the holder or in your hands that drives the hook. Perhaps there is something to the action in the rod blank that aids in the hook up with circles, The rod should offer a certain degree of flex for optimim usage of circle hooks.