circle hooks, for those that dont know.

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Dec 30, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know most people on here know how to use circle hooks, but there is a few out there that still dont:wink:

I talked to a friend of mine today, i have not fished with him in years.

He told me he tried circle hooks for the first time last year, and hated them.

He procedded to tell me the harder he jerked his rod the worse his hook-up ratio was.

When i told him you dont set the hook using cicles he was clueless.

so for those that dont know, i will tell you 2 ways i do it.

number 1- i have very sturdy bank rod holders, that no flathead can pull out of the ground, this helps alot..when the fish hits, i just set in my chair and watch the rod go dowN, down, and down some more..

I gently take the rod from the holder, and slowly pull back...FISH-ON!

Now if you dont have rod holders that will hold a huge fish and not come loose you can also use clickers.

As soon as the clicker sounds off i pick the rod up, engage the spool and let the rod bend way down just as if it was in a holder.

when i feel the fish pulling hard again a slowly pull back on the rod and fish-on!

Before i started using circles i thought i would hate them, i loved to set the hook.

now i find it just as exciting watching that rod load up as i do giving that big ole hook set

2. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ill tell ya jack I had a heck of a time the first day I used them! LOL! Sman gave me a couple the first day we fished together. My hook set % actually went up I do like them and will prob. be buying more for this spring!

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    good info, patience is a virture when using them that is for sure

4. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What kinda rod holder do you guys use for bank fishing?Those bigger spiral holders would prolly work right????

5. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It is definately hard to break the old habit of trying to cross their eyes when you set the hook. Can you post a pic of your bank rod holders for us? Thanks for all of the good info you have posted since I joined the BOC.

6. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ditto

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    That is why when one is using something new. Read up on it, make sure your using it right. Circle hooks are like a lot of other fishing products. If there not used right. They do not work good, but learn the right way to use the product. You may find out its worth its weight in gold.
    Thanks for the good info.
    Pete

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    INSTRUCTIONS???
    We don't need no stinking instructions. We are rough, tough fishermen. A hook is a hook right?

Why are people like this? Circle hooks, braid line, baitcaster spool brakes, sonar transducer position, all kinds of stuff.:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Real men aren't afraid to read the instructions (or ask for directions):wink:
    ...W

9. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i use the clicker method most the time,if i have the clicker engaged.now,after i engage the reel,i bring the rod up just a hair more than slowly,but not too fast,i do miss setting the hook,though

10. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Oh yes we are. But the school of hard knocks puts a little more punch behind its learning..

11. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I think one of the biggest mistakes for the beginners is that they dont give circle hooks an honest try. It took me about a season before I found a technique that worked the best for me. I almost gave up on them after a few weeks when I first started using them.

12. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    The cheapest and most stable rodholder for bank fishin would be a length of pvc pipe......with a 45 cut at the bottom....pound it in the ground with a mini sledge at the desired angle.....let the fish load that rod up real good then reel 'em in......you can use kahle hooks the same way too...

13. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I like to use circles as well. I like to use a rod holder, and whenn he starts to losd the rod up I give my rod 2 quick turns of the reel and I usually hook up with the fish. If the fish drops the bait he will usually hit it harder the second time around. If I am using my clickers, when I hear the clicker start to go I pick up my rod and point it twords the fish and I reel down on him.

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I haven't found that style of fishing to work for me well yet. I mainly fish from the boat, and have fished bait clickers for years. My buddy fishes circles, and I have seen him catch alot on them, however I guess I'm kinda old school. I don't have a hook-up problem on J-style hooks. I have seen him still lose fish or miss with circles, so my thought is if ain't broken don't fix it!:wink: However, I still may try some in the future some more in the future....Good post Jack...rollo

15. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    them old habbits-LOL- I have a PHD in the knox colledge(LOL)yeah used correctly there good but I gotta admitt I like rippin them lipps crossin there eyes and its hard to break that habbit when youve fished fer 25 years yanking that pole:smile2: Likke Rollo I tend to faver J hooks but I use both ......I dont ever limit myself to trying something new cause to me that puts limitations on yer catch and I cant have that(LOL)..Thaks fer putting this up I know there are alot of new commers that this info will bennifit.....this is a good post FH

16. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Due to my recent back surgery and the way I always jerk really hard....I've switched to circles for the time being. Last night while fishing a bloody bluegill head on a 10/0 circle hook....I connected with a 7.4 lb Channelcat. The circle hook performed flawlessly!!! I will probably continue to use all styles of hooks , once my back heals up more though. I'm very fond of the King Kahles in 9/0 too.:wink:

17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I plan on giving circle hooks an honest try this year. Sometimes when I jerk it gives me pain in my already bad back. I can see where they could benefit me, if I can get used to not jerking.

18. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This was my first year using circles. And after Jack showing me how to catch fish on them, i don't think i'll switch back. Alot more hookups on them!

19. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I use king kahles too........they're a really good hook, and the price is right. I fish em like circles most of the time, but if i go to sleep or don't have a stout rod holder available I will use the clicker and fish em like a J hook...

20. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I use Gamakatsu Octopus 8/0 to 10/0 for flatheads. I have been wanting to try circles for flatheads. For those who use circles for flatheads could you post what what style and sizes you use? I would still use my clickers with circles because I like to take short naps when I'm fishing.