CIRCLE HOOKS FOR THE BIG ONES,GOOD OR BAD?

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by creekrunnerpca123, Aug 23, 2008.

1. creekrunnerpca123

creekrunnerpca123 New Member

State:
    georgia
    HAVENT REALLY FISHED ALOT WITH CIRCLE HOOKS,BUT SO MANY OTHERS SAY THATS THE WAY TO GO,IF SO,WHATS THE BEST SIZE YALL THINK....

2. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    GREAT! I use 6/0 to 10/0, depending on size of bait.

3. fatfreddy

fatfreddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    for some weird reason i use 4/0-6/0 on rod and reel but 8/0 on my jugs. I have a buddy who uses 10/0 on his jugs and rod and reel. I guess it depends on how big the fish you target or the size bait you use. A trophy cat has a big mouth and I use live perch sometimes good sized perch so a 10/0 is not too big. If I am fishing with live shad then a 4/0 is big enough. To sum it up personal preference probably dictates the size more than 1 size being " The Correct Size". Good Luck.

4. jafacman

jafacman New Member

State:
    byron (macon area)georgia
    I cant wait for the load so i prefer the Kayle style hooks .... Better choice for newbies to big cattin such as I....A poll hear on BOC shows kayle favored over the circles by the guys like us...something to think about.....:0a35:

5. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    circles are good if you use them correctly. you need a stout rodholder and let that rod load up until there is no doubt in your mind that the fish is hooked, don't try to set the hook.....9 times out of 10 you're just gonna pull the hook out of his mouth. you're simply letting the fish hook himself. you can fish the same way with khale hooks too.....I mostly fish khale hooks with the reel locked down in the rodholder just like a circle hook. but with khales you have the option of using a clicker and setting the hook yourself too.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the 42-ber in my avitar came on an 8/0 circle...thats all I use.

7. rooster1

rooster1 New Member

State:
    ga banks county
    i just switched over to circle hooks and they seem to work a little better. i will keep using them.

8. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I am pretty much hooked on circles. Not totally brand loyal but I am partial to the 7/0 Daichi Circle Chunk Light. I am however gradually switching over to 8/0 Gamas due to the increasing price of the Daichis. Kahles work really well for a lot of folks but they gotta be big ones to work on big fish and they are hard to find around here.

9. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    I usually use the eagleclaw kingkhale, right now I have a box of 10 ought and a box of 8 ought. The best thing about them is a box of 50 is only around $15 bucks. I have some big gama's in my box but those are my high dollar hooks....lol

10. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    Well the 30 lber in avitar was caught on 5/0 circle using koi gold fish. I have not used Kahls yet. Have a box of them that hasnt been opened yet. May try them and see if my hook up rate will increase. I am getting bites and clicker goes to screaming when I lock it down or seem to touch the rod they turn loose of it. I may need to sit closer to the rod to keep it from getting pulled out to the water and keep it locked down. Any thoughts........ Mind you now this is from Sandbar.... dont have any rod holders in the boat yet.

Greg AJ

11. Sultan of Slime

Sultan of Slime New Member

State:
    GA
    I love me an 8/0 circle.Just have the rod secure,let it load and pick it up and reel.

Attached Files:

• fl.jpg
      fl.jpg
      File size:
      19.5 KB
      Views:
  12. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    with the circles a good rodholder really helps. If you had to fish w/ clicker I would surely rig with the khales! not that you can't catch fish with the clicker and circles, but I think the khale will do ya better. I hope this helps ya AJ......

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I prefer 9/0 King Kahles when fishing for Flatheads. But I prefer 10/0 circles when fishing for big blues. I guess if I had to choose a favorite, it would be the King Kahles. Whatever works best for you!!!!!:big_smile: