Circle Hooks For Jugs...

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by kyredneck, Feb 10, 2009.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ...anyone use them jugfishing?

I've never jugfished, although I may try it some this season; I've switched totally to circle hooks this year for trot & limb lining because of the increased hookups; curious to see if any jugheads have done the same......

2. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I have used both the Kahle & circle hooks while jugfishing with great success, :wink:

3. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    I have circle hooks on all my jugs wouldnt use anything else

4. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Last spring on KY Lake I tryed them on a few jugs,,, before the week was out I had circles on all my jugs. They work great.

5. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I started off using straight bait hooks but got better hook ups with kayle hooks..I then read about circle hooks and used them for one summer and liked the kayle hooks better..since I switched two years ago to treble hooks I miss a lot more fish then I did with kayle or circle hooks...holds the hot dogs on better too.. if I fish shad then I will use kayle.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I used kahle hooks for one season, and did have better hookups, but they rusted out after only one season. Also, they were a real hassle to put on and take off. I switched back to Big Eye trotline hooks (J-type)/

7. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Circles for me . I might downsize a little this year tho .

8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    What are you downsizing to Lance?

The reason I ask is that during the >30 years of fishing that stretch of the KY River, I've kept downsizing on my hooks and consequently caught more fish, HOWEVER, I've noticed an abrupt increase in the numbers of the larger flatheads (>20#) over the past 3-4 yrs., so now I find myself going the other direction on hook size for cats.

Caught a 50 lber on an 8/0 Gamatzu circle last year.

9. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    hey kahle 141 for everything here

10. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Do you use the khales for all types fishing, trot/limblining, jugs, R & R, etc.?

Larry, do you fish the Ohio River where you're at (probably a dumb question)?

How wide is it up there?

Can you eat the fish from it?

(hope i'm not asking too many questions, i've always been curious about the Ohio River up that far)

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Yeah, what he said!

12. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Last year we went to circle hooks and caught a lot more fish. It seems that with circle hooks the blues don't spin as much.

13. cyncitycat

cyncitycat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use circle hooks in almost all cases except when the fish aren't taking the bait then i switch to j hooks i prefer circles better than the rest.

14. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I use a 7/0 stainless circle hooks on most of my jugs. I think any sharp hook will work fine but I can leave jugs up to 24 hrs unattended. The circle holds them better and lose a lot less fish...hardly any slimed lines with no fish.

15. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Needless to say I have tried about everything I know to do on jugs . I have noticed cleaned hooks . I use chubs ,lil suckers shrimp and bluegill parts for the most part . 3 to 5 ft. lines etc.... I caught 1 channel cat last year below the dam. Should I maybe throw jugs on up say torwards where Otter creek dumps in ? The boonesboro area just didn't produce like I thought it would . What am I doing wrong ? The hooks are the hooks my cousin gave me and we where catch 30 plus pounders out of the green river @ spottsville and cumberland river at Barkley dam to Paducah . Maybe I am not fishing early enough in the year or need to try limblining or trotlining I normally don't have help and would rather not run trots by myself but would . I need eater fish Big fish are great fun but I prefer to put em back if not deep hooked that's where the circle comes in to play.

16. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I use kahle hooks on my jugs and really like them. I know that I
    have at least a 20% better hook-up over conventional hooks. I
    tried to use circle hooks on my jugs but the ones I used had bent
    barbs and it was hard to get the barb through large live bait with
    out injuring it and the bait did not live as long.

17. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Lance, maybe we can get together at least once this Spring, we'll see what happens. I'm gonna be hard pressed for time between trying to finish my house up, keeping tabs on my parents, and fishing. I don't jug fish and I don't know anyone that does up here; maybe it's because there's soooooo many limbs overhanging the water?? and limblines are just more convenient?? i don't know. But yea, mid-April thru mid- June, are the good channel & flathead months here. Early limblining w/ minnows on 1/0 & 2/0 hooks is apt to catch nearly any fish in the water.

Do you have access to the mouth of Otter Creek from land? I would think that would be a dandy place, especially if the water's flowing some.

Anyway, I'm making a total switch to circle hooks this year except for the yo-yos.

18. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    There is a ramp clark co side . just below I think a (powerplant ) Otter Creek dumps in right there from ramp to mouth of Otter maybe a mile I am betting less than a half mile .

19. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    sound like something worth a try circle hook just started fishing whit them this year not real sure YET only been fishing 2 times thinking a fella don't need to jerk (set the hook) did it by natural reaction and missed a darn good bite!! let'em just take it seemed to work better ...I have seen catfish take jug under and let go of it and she'll shot a foot in the air >>sounds like you know what the heck your talking about !! thinking I'll try it ?

20. SouthernWhiskers

SouthernWhiskers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I love circle c hooks especially for using pre frozen baits or stink baits. They hold liver better as well. Some of the best hook sets you will ever see. Good Luck