Circle hooks for drift fishing

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by Eagle 1, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Eagle 1

Eagle 1 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I live in East Tenn, and like to drift fish the Tenn. River. Does anyone use circle hooks for drifting? I have fished for most of my sixty odd years but am new to circle hooks, I have used them for bank fishing with some success. but never for drifting. Need some advice.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I use circles for all types of catfishing, especially drifting.

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thats all I use ! Period ! Drift over fish & catch 3 or 4 at once You will love it !!!!! :0a24::0a26::0a23:

4. cptowe

cptowe New Member

State:
    TN
    That's all I use. I mainly drift flats in the summer at night. I release alot of fish it's great for the fish plus they set the hooks for you.

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Stick with the circles they are great they might take a little getting used too, but once you get the hang of it you'll never go back.

6. riverosa

riverosa New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    But a bit hard to remove from the fishs mouth

7. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If you turn the hook to the side and then push in towards the mouth they usually pop out for me but until I figured that out I know what you mean.

8. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Kill the barb.I always kill the barb and keep the point sharp..The point is more important than the barb...Jusk take your needle nose pliers and pinch it down..If set properly the hook should just end up in the corner of the mouth..I almost never have trouble removing the hook and I don't really lose any fish cause I kill the barb either.Now if I'm juggin or limblining thats a different story, I don't even use a circle hook and I don't kill the barb..

9. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    98% of my catfishing is done drifting. 100% of that is done with circle hooks. Don't fill the gap between the point and the shank with bait. Let the rod load up and just reel. Don't lift or jerk just reel.

10. runabout199

runabout199 New Member

State:
    Cartersville, G
    i agree with everyone else. once i learned to not set the hook they are all i use any more . trouble with circle hooks for me is finding them. luckily i have a bass pro shop about 100 miles from me so i make a once a year trip and stock up.

11. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I converted to the use of circle hooks in 2001 never looked back. Do I still jerk the rod for hookset? No I reel down at least three turns then sweep rod upwards slowly to move fishoff bottom. Circle or octpus hooks choose the ones that you feel good with and stick with them for at least a 3 months trial. Yep they be harder to bait harder to unhook, but damn the catch fish.
    Keep them lines wet