circle hooks for carp?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by archer1914, Jun 11, 2008.

1. archer1914

archer1914 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    just wondering with all the talk about circle hooks and cats could or do they work for carp the same way

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I am sure they would, I just need to figure out how to put my doughball on one. LOL! I am going to try it with nightcrawler soon, I will let you know how I do

3. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Yes, they work like a dream. Just make sure you use a pole holder, or a bait runner cranked down tight enough for the hook to set, yet light enough for it to alert you. Just thread corn on it, or use a swivel for dough balls, make sure to pinch it down so it doesn't slide off the hook.

I've added some pictures to show you what I mean.

Attached Files:

• ex1.jpg
      ex1.jpg
      File size:
      48.7 KB
      Views:
    • ex2.jpg
      ex2.jpg
      File size:
      41.6 KB
      Views:
    • ex3.jpg
      ex3.jpg
      File size:
      31.1 KB
      Views:
  4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    these last few years i have caught several carp on circles, mostly on cut shad. never happened before but 2 winters ago we were blue cat fishing and averaged one per trip, and the bug has stayed with me i guess you could say. tried my dough with small circles and caught a few. it makes a mess of their mouth sometimes, so if you're planning on releasing them i'd go with something else. might be the heavy line i am using that is doing that, i don't know.

5. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Sadly, as massa_jorge stated, a circle hook will make a mess of a carps mouth on rare occasions. So if you plan to release, they may not be the best option. Carp are probably my favorite fish to catch, so I hate it when that happens.

The picture below will show you what we mean by "making a mess."

Attached Files:

• ex4.jpg
      ex4.jpg
      File size:
      51.5 KB
      Views:
  6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    exaclty what i mean travis! i have got them in where almost the whole mouth was hanging off! i go out and catch carp for fun and release them all, a situation like this makes me have to make bait when i've got plenty in the freezer already. i like a snelled baitholder in a small size like size 6. it cocks the hook point toward the line, and leaves almost no trace of the hook when you take it out, regardless of how hard the fight was.

7. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I've not yet had one where the whole mouth was nearly ripped, but I believe it, and it doesn't happen EVERY time, but more than it should. For that very reason I tend to stick to my baitrunners with small baitholder hooks. I respect the Carp very much and would hate killing one simply because of a hook.

8. Whiskers4U

Whiskers4U New Member

State:
    PA
    Travis:

That is a neat rig for using doughballs and circle hooks. So are you wrapping the doughball around the swivel which extends past the hook? How is the doughball staying on the swivel without it falling off during the cast? It looks like a modification of the hair rig.

9. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    That's exactly what it is, a modification of a hair rig. I use Wheaties most of the time. When made correctly, it's stiff, and will say on the swivel without a problem. I just make a ball, then press the swivel down the middle, and continue to mold it on. I think with the addition of the holes in the swivel it helps it stay on that much better. I've not had a problem casting it off yet.

10. Whiskers4U

Whiskers4U New Member

State:
    PA
    What size of circle hook have you had the most success in using?

11. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    5/0 Circles seem to be the perfect size.

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use 1/0 circles all the time ,just thread em full of whole kernal corn.

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use the size 2 or 3 light wire hooks from eagle claw. bear in mind that i am fishing for cats in the 2-3 pound range when these things eat my shad.