Circle Hooks for Blue Catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Blue Hawg, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Blue Hawg

Blue Hawg New Member

State:
    Decatur, Alabama
    O.K., y'all. I'm new here and just joined-up. I've not read anything previously posted...so.....

Risking a post that may have already been discussed, here I go:

I believe circle hooks, by design, have only a 50% chance of hooking the fish. Does this ring true with anyone? And the gap between the point and shank???????????? Not wide enough for wheeler lake hawgs.

:confused:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Thats odd. What kinda circle hooks were ya usein? The 50# blue in my profile pic was caught with a circle hook. I swear bye em. Greatest thing since sliced bread. LOL! The 50% hookup number that ya posted. Is that a figure from your personal experience?

3. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Circle hooks are great. it doesn't take that big of a gap to hook a cat on a loaded up rod. Check with different hook makers and you will see different gaps, but besides that I think they are the greatest hook for catfishing.

4. Ohio Trophy Hunter

Ohio Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    i don't know about others,but if i'm "on my game"i'd have to give circles closer to 85%+ on hookups.
    if you need a wide gap circle,daiichi circle wide or circle chunk light are the ones i use.i attribute the wide gap to my hookup ratio.gamakatsu makes nice circles as well.
    remember,you don't need to "cross their eyes"with these hooks at all.just raise the rod and start reeling.they take a bit of getting used to but work very well.
    the huntress and i have been using circles almost exclusively for the past two years and have noticed an astounding increase in hookups and quality fish.
    other than largemouth,i have had very good results on every species of fish in ohio,not to mention my first redfish down in south carolina this year!
    Eric B

5. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    I'm still trying to figure out what a "circle hooker" is?
    I could guess,but, that'd have to be posted in high intensity area.
    (just kiddin I spell terrible too)
    I love circle hooks. I'd have to agree that if the right size hook is matched with right size bait, then your hook-up rate would be a lot higher.

6. Blue Hawg

Blue Hawg New Member

State:
    Decatur, Alabama
    thanks for the responses, guys. Here's where I'm goin' with it.... I apologize, but I'm an engineer....and I've literally sat and stared, analyzing, 16/0 circles for hours on end. I concentrate on precisely how the hook must either flip and spin........or spin only.....in order to catch a blue hawg. I've had circle hooks in my own human mouth in order to demonstrate to others how they work.

Here's the deal..... Circles must complete some very precise gymnastics in the fish's mouth in order to hook-up. There's no magic or mystery in circle hooking.....but only the same laws of physics that apply to everything else in the world. Again, my personal hook-up rate is 50%. I attribute it to the design of the hook at this point. (Surely it's not MY fault !!!!! LoL!!!)

Statistically speaking, a circle with a big chunk of bait on it, both clamped by a cats upper and lower mouth parts.....it ain't gonna flip....and maybe it will spin. My gut feel and experience is 50%.

Who's the Circle Master out there who can address these life-threatening issues with sound circle hook engineering principles-n-stuff??????

Where's Daiichi or Cabela's or Gamakatsu in this forum??????? C'mon Sales Reps...Show us what you know!!

-Steve the Out-of-Work Attorney/Engineer in Alabama

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Blue hawger, I'm with you on the abilities of the circle hook catching fish. My brother and I used them for a short period of time at the beginning of the year, my time of experimenting with circles was much shorter than his though because of the amount of missed fish I had compared to "J" style hooks. I have always had very good luck fishing for all species of fish with "j" style hooks and don't quite understand how you can make such a great thing that has been used for years better. Alot of the "new and improved" stuff out there isn't worth spit. I myself like to set the hook rather than "hope" that the fish is going to hook hisself. Although I can say that if a blue or other large cat runs with my bait hard and agressive the "j" style hook is as equally effective in hooking the fish as a circle. So is the same true for a circle if the fish takes your bait in a finicky light bite manner? I say no. I fish tournaments quite often and a missed fish can mean more than a few cuss words. Whether it be a one pound fiddler or a fifty pound hog every fish counts and a couple of ounces can mean the difference of a couple hundred dollars or no money at all. "J" all the way. Vern

8. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My brother introduced me to circle hooks and he showed me how they're used. I'm sold on em! :0a23:

9. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    When fishing for blue cats I have hooked near 100% of my big runs with circle hooks. Just put the pole in a heavy duty rod holder and tight line it with the drag just lose enough to not lose my rod to a 50lber running like a frieght train. With flatheads I have tightlined and free spooled both. With the free spool I pick the rod up and engage waiting for the fish to load the rod. If he just sits there playing around I will reel down on him and do a slow sweeping hookset or hold the rod high and reel in. I've hooked almost every big fish that hits. I miss alot of smaller bites but I figure they are gar or turtles because usually the bait will be tore up.

Usually when I'm lake fishing for channels I'll use kahles because the channels tend to just peck at the bait and I often times just rip their heads off with hookset. Although I've caught aton of channels off circles aswell and it often times depends on what lake I'm fishing. Circle hooks are the best thing to happen to fishing in many many years!

I perfer to use Daiichi circle chunk lite in 7/0 for river fishing. But at $1.30 per hook I usually opt for cheaper Eagle Claw's, unless I'm really on the fish or am fishing in an area with few snags.

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Great stuff guys. Theres no magic in how circle hooks work. Its LEVERAGE, and pressure. Take a circle hook and place it on your thumb, and pull on the line a little bit. You can easily see how its leverage and pressure that cause the hook to do its thing. 99% of the time, the fish will be hooked right in the corner of the jaw as advertised. 'd say I'm around 85% also. Now, back in my Jhook days, I probably was around 50%. Personally, I like the 7,8,9 Gamagatsu's. Just my preference thats all. Good Luck Fishing. ;)

11. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Hey guys I'm a little new to the circle hook thing too. Weren't circle hooks invented so that fish would not get gut hooked using live bait in tournaments? That's what I have read anyway. I have only used them for a couple months and so far I love them. Probably am in the 85% hookup ratio with them.
    Didn't it hurt bad when you tried the hooks in your own mouth there Blue Hawg?
    Being an engineer you should know that what works or doesn't work on paper has little bearing on real life.

whatever it takes

Cheez :D

12. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I havent been using circle hooks for very long, but I have had a pretty good hook up rate, and the ones i didnt get were from me having big bait and not being patient. I get the corner of the mouth every time.

13. roughneckcatman

roughneckcatman New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    I too just this year switched to circle hooks and so far so good. Seems to me they are awesome. All these replies and responses are just great, i just recently found this site, and have been learning things ever since. Keep bringing the good information.

14. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Most people have problems with Circle Hooks because, they just can't let go of the idea of setting the hook. I know, it took me a long time to get used to not setting the hook, myself,LOL. I don't know if this is what is happening in your case. If it is, let the fish load the rod up and pick it up and start reeling. Also with Circle Hooks I don't like using a bait clicker, because generaly when a fish runs with it and the bait clicker is not engaged he will hook himself right off the bat and your work is done accept for reeling him in. Circle hooks were not designed to twist or turn in anyway. Just designed to slide into the corner of the mouth and dig in.
    In the case of the light bite situation circle hooks are not the way to go. If the fish doesn't run with the bait, circle hooks are pretty much useless. I like to use khales during those periods, so I can set the hook or let the fish set it it's self. Khales are kinda like having the best of both worlds,IMO.

15. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I'll tell you this much where ever you heard the 50% it's....... I have 100% hook up's on cats caught out of the river this year. Only a couple of those fish where under 20 pounds biggest was 40. It all comes down to style and brand of circle hooks you use. I'm not to sure about useing a big 16/0 cabelas king cat is all that great. I use gama's exclusively in either 8/0 or 6/0. For channels I just got some in 2/0. Although I have not tried them yet. In a circle I like a light wire offset hook. I feel the lighter the wire but still very very strong penetrates easyer. Then say a big heavy wire cabelas king cat. Jetdriver said it best on how to see them work. Now in lakes where I catch channels thats going to be a little different. Channels like to peck at there food and not hammer it like a blue. Channels I have found your better off to let them keep messing. Tell there is no doubt the fish is on. I would say that all fish lost to everyone out there is you don't let the fish do the work. I don't even touch my rod tell I KNOW he's on. Sure it's hard to retrain your logic. The more you jump around and dive for rods because your getting hits. The more fish you run off the hole. To me there's nothing better then seeing a rod in a rod holder doubled over almost smacking the water with your drag screaming. Thats when you know you got a fish.

16. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Well Bluehawg you might want to try this with circlehooks. I use Dachai circlehooks and use them with a Raphla knot. It's bacically a loopknot. It's pretty strong knot. The reason being is that the circlehook using a loopknot has a chance to rotate more and the hook up rate is much higher. You might want to try it. I wouldn't recommend anything if it didn't work.

17. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    I had a few come off at the boat and that changed my mind on circles. I really like those King kahles now that i've tryed them. Most the time i really don't have to set the hook on them i do give it a jerk but it seems when they find it its there. I've only had one come out of the fishes mouth so far and i've fished quite alot this year.

18. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Forget physics and logic, throw the book away. They work when used as intended!

19. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Bluehawg, I hope that you understood my post was a playful jab.
    A lot of times, overthinking gets everyone in trouble.
    If it still bothers you,talk to some local saltwater fishermen, thats where it was first used.
    The things that'll mess you up;
    "setting the hook" hard habbit to break(trust me)
    "lite bite" fish just tasting the bait
    "run" toward you.
    As many have stated, if you let the rod load up(bent over hard and twitchin) this shows he's taken your bait and fightin cause he's hooked. Always keep pressure on the line,no slack, and you'll get a good corner or lip of the mouth hookup at least 90% of the time.

20. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You all are definitely giving great advice, thanks for sharing since I'm new to these circle hooks as well.