Circle Hooks - Do you set the hook differently on catfish?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by j.smfp, Oct 3, 2007.

1. j.smfp

j.smfp New Member

State:
    MO
    Is it true that you set the hook differently using a circle hook?

And are they the best to use with live bait?

2. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jeff, Lots of discussion on this issue in the library. I am a believer in the circle hooks. Let the fish take it and hook himself. No setting the hook on the circle hook. I do sometimes hold the rod balanced in my hand if they are just pecking the bait, when I feel them pecking I slightly jerk the rod tip.... sometimes mean hooking up when they won't take the bait.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You dont set the hook at all on circles, let the rod bend down hard till you think it's gonna break, then pull back slowly.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    After off and on fishing with a circle hook, I finally caught my first cat on one last week. About a 4 pounder...but, haven't had one since. They hit the pole, run line off the reel, put one heck of a bend in the pole, and thats it. I got the drag set at about 14 pounds, which seems to me should be stout enough for a hook set. Believe me, If I was catching them on Kahle's, I'd probably chunk all the circles. LOL

5. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i dont use the c hooks yet but from what i know about them you let the pole load up and just reel um in v/s setting the hook everytime with a k hook. but like i said i have not tried one in years and did not know what i was doing when i did

6. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Circle hooks kind of do the hooksetting for you. With help from the fish. Thats why I like them so much.:haha:

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    im with flat i let them bend the crap out of the rod then i pull back hard slowly to make the hooks in there good.

8. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Don't set the hook just let the rod bend over like Flathunter said.