Circle hooks/chicken livers

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by smitty1963, Sep 2, 2008.

1. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was wondering if anyone has used chicken livers with circle hooks and if so did you have any problems with the liver falling off the hook??????

2. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Actually Ken I have and I found out that they stay on a Little better that the regular J bend hooks. If you're a treble hook user the terble hook I think they still hold them better.. I'm not a fan of treble hooks though. Try cutting the livers with a sharp pair of scissors and only a piece as big as the hook.

3. jamesriverman

jamesriverman New Member

State:
    va
    I have bin using liver on a c hook for 8 years i can sling it good.

never mind that use beef liver

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use chicken livers on size 3 circles. cut the liver with a sharp knife and it will hold better. i take a small cooler fishing and keep the liver in there all the time. or you can freeze it and it will stay cold as it thaws, unless it's really hot out.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yes you can use chicken livers on circle, kahle, or j hooks. Use thread to secure the liver on the hook. It only takes a few wraps and its ready to slang out.

6. X24

X24 New Member

State:
    Monroe,Nebraska
    Good tip, but when i fished liver I'd always just wrap them in panty hose, seems to be a little easier. Seems to me pantyhose is almost a must have in your tackle box.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ken,I have tried it,But I find a regular J hook in a baitholder style works about as good as anything .

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    If you get some time try to cure some livers. There is good info on that in the library. Trust me, I know the guy that wrote it, lol.

9. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I don't know why but that is a little disturbing to me Mike :crazy:

I usually just use a small piece of thread like Micky suggested and wrap it a few times. I've also cured some as Tea suggested but they didn't produce so well for me I'm sorry to say.

On a side note about that. It only took about twenty minutes to realize why Tea said to take the dehyrater outside to turn it on. :eek:oooh:
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38803