Circle hooks and stiff rod tips

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Cathunter Pete, May 8, 2009.

1. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    Just a question for you all. I primarily use circle hooks 8/0 Gama, and have had an issue with not having as high of a hook up rate with rods that have stiffer tips. However with rods like the Ugly Stick Catfish rods MH action, the hookup rate is very good. It seems that when they hit the rods with the stiffer tips they bounce it and it reduces the hookup success. Does anybody else notice this, if so is there a remedy to this besides using rods with a lighter tip. I tight line with no clicker when using circle hooks. Any suggestions or advice to increase the hookup rate. I do know that when the fish aren't agressive I down size to a Gama 5/0 circle which seems to help with finicky fish. Thanks for any help or advice fellow cathunters

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I use all heavy action rods and have had the same experience when we are in 2 to 3 lb. fish. Seems to help when you are in the small ones to set the clickers and give them a little run time then locking down the reel. But anytime a fish hits with any size at all then this has not been a problem. I've been thinking about getting 5 medium heavy action rods for prepaired bait fishing when we catch a lot of eaters, I think this would improve the hook up ratio when fishing with the reel locked down. At least it sounds like a really good reason to buy some new team catfish rods :wink::smile2:.

3. Cathunter Pete

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    That's exactly what I told my wife so that she let me buy four more setups:big_smile:! After convincing her that 15 catfish setups weren't enough she gave in! Thanks for your reply!:wink:

4. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    I agree compleatly Pete,
    Ive been using a rod that I custom built a couple of month ago that address that very thing, I notice that all my small fish came from my smaller rods and the only hookups on the big rods where bigger fish,,On really big fish they dont seem to care if its a heavy tip but smaller to medium fish seem to shy away from a heavy "fast" tip,:embarassed: My new rod has 1/3 VERY soft tip which really increased the hookup rate, and then second 2/3 is progressivly heavy, its got tons of backbone to haul the biggest fish up to the boat "or shore",,I really like this new setup seems to work great on all sizes of fish. So far ive hauled in fish "blue cats" from 1/2 lb up to 33lbs and it performs great on all sizes of the fish and its made from E-Glass so I have no doughts that it can handle much bigger fish when needed "or when I can find them". :confused2:
    Puddle
    Oh and by the way im using circle hooks and rod holders, reels locked down..

5. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    John, you're mixing terms up there and muddying the water. A fast action is a light tip. A slow action rod has a heavy tip.

I have a couple of surf rods with a stiff, slow action and they are hard to hook up on. I have caught fish on them but I think the fish were real aggressive and the more timid ones don't hook up.

I want something 9-10' and able to cast flathead bait and 4oz. Otherwise the ugly sticks seem like a decent compromise.

Why not use a clicker with circles? By the time the clicker goes off, the fish is hooked.

6. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    John is right on the fast tip being the more stout rod... the way it works is imagine pulling the tip of a heavy action rod down and letting it go...the tip is going to snap back in place quicker hense "fast tip" and viseversa on the slow tips.

7. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Josh,
    Light and soft or heavy rods has to do with power, heavy, med heavy, light,, etc

Action has to do with where that power is aplied "what part of the rod actually bends'..
    We may be saying the same thing not sure,
    so a fast action rod can have a heavy or a soft tip depending on the power of the rod. but on a given rod the softest part will be on the very end on a fast action rod
    puddle

Attached Files:

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Thanks for posting that I was going to but you beat me to it now I don't have to find the pic. :wink:

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    And yes slower rods do work better for circles. You can looseen the dRaag on stiffer rods to help.

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Try this back off on your drag and set the clicker and this will give the fish the run without feeling the rod tip. What is happening is soon as the fish feel the rod they let go of the bait. even with the drag backed off there will be enough tension it to see the hook as doing this your kinda changing the way the rod feels to the fish and this should give you more hook ups. Good luck and hope this helps

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i hate circal hooks i missed so many fish, then i switched to king kaels with the meadiom heavy rods with clikers on never mis. bluecats and circals are good but flatheads and circals dont work for me, but you decide, remeber circals need flex in the rod to work good, but kaels will do ether way , king kaels cant beat them

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I'm a circle hook fishing freak. Yes I have seen the bounce and yes I think there is a fine line between a heavy action and a lighter action. Take a surge rod for example they are the worst circle hook rod. To much movement in the tip. That thing has to bend over a foot it seems before you get into the part of the rod that can set a hook. Then you take a snagging rod and there is no give to help you out. That being said what rod are you using? I prefer to lean more towards the heavy actions in rods then the lighter side. Catfish Safari rods meet the needs of circle hook fishing on average better then all the rest. The river rod is heavy enough action for the biggest of fish but yet light enough for even the 2#'s. The lake rod is incredible as well. Why you might ask is the catfish safari rod a much better circle hook rod then the rest. It's the parabolic bend of the rod. The rod just does not bend to a certain point then stop like a traditional rod. The catfish safari rod bends similar throughout the length. That in my opinion makes a good circle hook rod.

13. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    I agree, Im a big fan of Catfish Safari Rods... Those rod to me are by far the best catfishing rod out there today.. The river rod has just enough bend to get a good solid hook set.. over 60% of the boats you see on the river here have yellow rods in the rod holders... you will always question it why, til you try one... JMHO!!

14. Cathunter Pete

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    I have a Power Rod, 2x sturdy sticks, Penn Long Beach, and two old wood handle saltwater rods with the rollers on the tips that I've redone. Those rods are pretty stiff and the ones that the cats seems to knock and that's it. I have caught them on circle with the Penn and Sturdy Sticks. I think I'll do what was mentioned earlier about using the clicker and loosening the drag on those rods. I use to only use J-hooks with those rods but have really gotten into liking the circle hooks. Thanks guys.

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    safari rods, yes them are the best for circal hooks, but, i encorge king kaels, if your using a cliker, or live bait, circals are good for bles but after missing so many fisg with gama 8/o i went to king kaels, ill never go back, unless its for blues , plus i like a heavy tip to horse them up from the bottem, u cant do that with flexable rods as good, , medum hevy to heavy, clckers on, at night, but, circals are better if your not worried about structer, me i dont mess around i horde them in unless there monsters, then you got to play them

16. LUNKERCAT

LUNKERCAT New Member

State:
    north dakota
    THE TRICKS TO CIRCLE HOOKS ARE KEEPING THE BAIT IN THE PROPER POSITION ON THE HOOK AND ALLOWING THE ROD TO PROPERLY "LOAD UP" WHEN THE FISH HITS THE BAIT. I FISH SLIGHTLY LIGHTER THAN USUAL RODS BECAUSE I FEEL A SOFTER TIP HELPS DETECT LIGHT BITERS BETTER AND MAY PREVENT SHORT BITERS; GIVING THE FISH A MORE NATURAL FEELING WHEN HITTING A BAIT.
    I GIVE UP SOME HEFT WHEN CATCHING BIGGER FISH IN CURRENT BUT FEEL I CATCH MORE FISH WITH THE SOFTER TIP. IF I FELT LIKE GOING TO A CUSTOM ROD, I THINK THE 1/3 SOFT AND 2/3 STIFF BLANK FROM EGLASS WOULD BE THE WAY TO GO. LUNKERCAT

17. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    With circles, a lighter action works best for me. I use several different rods/actions etc. The glow sticks med. heavy works great for me using circles. I also use Ugly Stick Tigers med. action that work well also. Another good choice when fishing for 1 to 20 pound fish are Rhino rods med. to med. heavy, work really well when using circles. I have not had any problems fighting bigger fish with the lighter /shorter rods. When I go out I usually take several different rods and if I,m not hooking up with light biters I go to a lighter action. A friend of mine swears by the Bionic blades from BPS. He says they are real stickers when using circles. Might have to try them sometime.

18. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I've about decided that braided line and stiff rods are the worst possible combination for circles.

It's back to the drawing board for me this summer.

19. Gazippoman

Gazippoman New Member

State:
    GA
    Braided line with a stiff rod is a bad combination for circles. The only way to can really improve it is to use a lighter mono leader, loosen the drag and set the clicker.

Bill

20. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    When I'm using circles, I'll use them on my MH ugly sticks and my heavy action Katmaxx rods. I really haven't been able to distinguish between the actions in the rods. When I have agressive fish both types of actions are doing good. I use mono most of the time but am slowly changing over to braid on a couple rods.It seems that I'm doing better with them when I have at least 2 things going for me....

Strong current
    Agressive fish

Usually If I have those 2 things going for me I'm having a productive day with the circles for the blues and channels. If the bite it one of those pecking types. I'll change hooks to a different style where I can set it. Just started using the sickle hooks the last couple months, and I'm finding that I'm getting the best of both worlds with it either using it as a circle or going ahead and setting the hook myself.

Just my 2 cents.