Circle hooks and clickers

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Jun 15, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    is it bad to use a cliker with a circal after he runs then engage the reel . or will that make the bluegill and circal not set right let me know

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'd use one or the other. Believe a combination of both will irritate the fish God's too much and I'd not catch a thing.

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have had fish hit so hard they set the hook on themselves even with the clicker on. usually though it's a steady pull. i let them run 2 or 3 seconds, then engage the reel. keep your tip up and line tight, and pop the rod a few times to makes sure the hook is set deep.

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Circle hooks and clickers, not a good combination !!! :crazy:

5. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I use the clicker with circle hooks no problem here!.... what I do is when I hear the clicker I pick the rod up immediatly and if the fish is running I start to apply pressure to the spool with my thumb little by little until the rod is bent and I know the hook did it's job then engage my reel, I believe this method to be equally as good as just letting your rod load up in a holder. Hope this helps

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    It works for me. Ive caught most all my flatheads with circles using my clickers. From my observations on flathead runs, its all about timing when to engage the reel and let the fish load up the pole.

7. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Steve's post was yesterday at six. Well we went fishing this morning and at around 1am he used that technique and circle hooked himself a 25#er with no problem. It was a nice corner of the mouth hookin'.

8. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I've done it. It can be done, but it took me a while to get the hang of it. When the fish starts running, I put the reel in freespool with a little bit of thumb pressure. Hold the rod at about 45 degrees, and engage the reel. Let the rod load, and give it a little side-sweep to seal the deal (or pop the hook out of his mouth).

While it can be done, I prefer using the clicker with an octopus or J hook. If I had a good, solid rod holder, I'd use circles for flats a lot more.

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i have not had good luck with circals but im not giving up ,it seems like they will be on then half way through the fight it comes loose, cant figer it out whats wrong, im using 7/o 8/0 gamas with 3 to 5 incc bluegill, what in the devil is wrong

10. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    I have always used J-Hooks but i love my clickers!! I love to hear them and I have had no problems catching fish with them. I try to turn them off when I ddo have a fish on because they can get nerve racketing when reeling in a big fish or really any fish, but like I said I love to hear that run with the clicker on!!!:smile2::big_smile::big_smile:

11. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    circles hooks are easy to use on anyfish that smash runs on the bait. But one day u will get that monster that is bitting but wont run and you will wish u had a big J-hook :wink:

12. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I was using a spinning rod and reel, I put a circle hook on and let it do its thing. I didn't have to pay close attention and when I noticed the pull I just reeled it in. One in the corner of the mouth, and one in the jaw. Worked real good.

13. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I too use circle hooks and clickers together and have not had any problms.. I didnt use to like circles at all... Was sworn on Kales but I miss alot less fish now that I use circles but i still used 10/0 kales from time to time... I guess its a prefrence and all in the stradegy in the person fishing... I have been fishing this way for the last 4 yrs and I like it

14. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Willie, some flatheads will actually have the bait half way in their gut without being hooked. Once the pole loads up in this situation the pressure of the line will pull the bait and hook right out. Another reason would be short-strikes where the flathead has a portion of the bait but not the hook. A stinger hook will solve this short coming.

15. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    My wife was using circles with the clicker and could not figure out why she was missing so many fish. I finally talked her into turning the clicker off and she started catching more fish. I personally think it is all what a persons prefrence is and what they are used to using. Just keep on trying different things until you find what works for you.

Tom

16. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i dont see how circal hooks and clikers together would affect the hook up ratio, i will try it both ways and see