Circle hooks and baiting them?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by vandellchuck, Jul 23, 2007.

1. vandellchuck

vandellchuck New Member

State:
    Illinois
    im wanting to experament with circle hooks. but im not too sure what size of a hook to use for my bait. il be useing small to medium shad, and 3-5" shad. Can i get any help?

2. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    use whatever size hook that will leave the gap open and tip exposed good normally I use from 7/0 to 12/0 gamagatsu octopus circles depending on the size of the bait over 8/0 I use owner hooks

3. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    When using circles I only go with OWNERS SSW Needle points.The#1 circles in the land!!!:0a22:

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I use 8/0 Gama Octo circles, only because I can't find them bigger. Tspergin, where are you finding the 12/0 Gama circles? Thanks,

Branden

5. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
  6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    The one good thing about catfishing is catfish are not hook shy, especially flatheads. Dont be afraid to use the larger 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circles, or the Daiichi 7/0 Circle Chunk Lights. When ever choosing circles, make sure you get the wide gaps, (wider distance between the point and the shank). After hooking your baitfish, check and pick off any scales that are stuck on the point of the hook. You want as much as the point exposed as possible.

7. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    3-5" shad definately go with an 8/0. You can you as low as 5/0 if you have smaller baits.

8. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the question and thanks to all those who gave us new information to try!!!