Circle hook

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Wallbass, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey guys
    Whats the best size Gamakatzu Circle hook for 11/2 to 4 pound Channels in your opinion??.............Thanks Jeff

2. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I'd probably use a 4/0 or 5/0 octopus circle.

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Same here, Tnkat. I did pick up some Mustad circles in about 6/0 that I'm starting to use more and more for channels. The gap on them isn't quite as wide as on Gamas and so far that seems to be helping the channels get them in their mouths a little better. The only thing is they're inline so I give them an offset before I use them. Good Luck!

Branden

4. JKeeney20

JKeeney20 New Member

State:
    Lucasville, Ohio
    I been using 3/0 so that I can catch those smaller 1-2lb fish also....depends if you want to catch more or bigger....I have caught some 10+ channels on the 3/0 though....but like theses guys said, probably 5/0 for the larger ones...guess its all about what size your targeting!

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The 3/0 - 4/0 will work fine for the smaller channel cats. I actually tied up some drift rigs for the smaller cats today with 3/0 hooks.

6. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i find that 2/0 is about perfect for 1-10 pound fish just because it keeps the real small ones off and is powerful enough to tangle with the bigger ones with out straightening. get any smaller and i be worried about getting straightened.

7. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    i use 6/0 gamakatsu octopus circles, they work fine too

8. King Flats W'loo

King Flats W'loo New Member

State:
    iowa
    i use 4/0 but find that 3/0 is better

9. King Flats W'loo

King Flats W'loo New Member

State:
    iowa
    how much of and offset you set on the size 6/0?

10. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I like the 5/0 Daiichi circles

11. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    I gauge that depending on the size of bait I'm using. I've caught plenty of small channels on big circle hooks. As long as your bait doesn't get in your hook gap you'll b o k.

12. LandsCats

LandsCats New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I use 5/0 eagleclaw circles. Doesn't seem to matter on ht elittle ones and they really hold the big ones. If you really looking for the bigger fish and you are going with a bigger biat I would go up to an 8/0. Good luck and tight lines

13. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I would use 4/0 hooks for that size. You could even go bigger and it would work. I've used 7/0 and 8/0 circle hooks and had 2-3 lb fish on them.

14. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    :smile2: 5/0 Dianichi circle finness they have a offset

15. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    I seem to have the best luck with a 4/0 Gakamatsu. Never had a need to offset them, but I've also never tried it. I may just do that this weekend, and see if I don't get some improved results. Thanks for the suggestions!

16. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I use a size 4 with a chunk of hotdog, that has been soaking in a "secret" recipe in a mason jar for several days. I still:embarrassed_2: have to tell myself to not pull that rod out of the holder....
    But when I dont, it works!

P.S.
    PM me, and Ill give ya the "secret" recipe!:wink:

17. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I typically use 6/0 circles for channel cats except for when I'm fishing with liver. It seems that the curved point of the hook tears the liver and it flings off/is nibbled off to easily. I usually use J-hooks for liver. I think a 6/0 should fit in about any cat's mouth that you wanna catch. Good luck and rip some lips!

18. carpdoctor

carpdoctor New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Do u guys use the gammi offset hooks or the in-line ones. What amout the hook eyes, straight or angled?

19. Diego

Diego New Member

State:
    California
    For cats that size I'd use 1/0 hooks baited with threaded nightcrawlers. No need to go any bigger than that.

20. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I would stay with a smaller hook for the size of the fish you are describing...say in between 3/0-5/0...

I use the gammi circles as well.... one bad thing about the circles is big hook little fish....and more than likely the cat will loose his eyeball.....

i have had this happen on numerous occasions....just the design of the circle hook to go through the corner of the mouth well on the little ones thats their eyeball...

good luck...