Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had a catfish swallow a circle hook?
I'm not a big fan of circle hooks, but I'm trying to get
the hang of then.
I had a cat swallow one the other day.Couldn't get it
out with out hurting the fish.I cut the line and released it.
The hook wasn't that deep, but I couldn't get it out because
of the sharp bend.

Dan

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
Circle hooks can gut hook fish especially if they are offset. However the rate is significantly lower than j hooks. Circle hooks take some time getting used to but I have went nearly exclusively to them for live and cutbait applications.
I agree with J.

The best way to get a hook out is to push it on thru and then cut the shank. I don't see that happening often. Circle hooks may not be perfect at preventing a fish from being gut hooked but it seems to be better than anything else.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I see it occasionally
I think it is important that when you line is out that your rod and reel is cocked and locked
-reel engaged not free spool
-rod and reel in rod holder
-if you like the clicker turn it on and back the drag off a little

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've landed about 150 channels over the last 4 years and only had one gut hook using circles. Not only that, my hook up rate is probably 98%. I use dual drag reels and while the rod is in the rod holder I set the rear drag just strong enough to set the hook when they pick up a bait and bolt (that is a surprisingly light drag setting, but it's definitely not free spool). This set up works wonderfully for cats, carp, and when soaking bait while surf fishing in salt water.

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
1,262 Posts
Yep occasionally you will get a fish that swallows the bait and then gets gut hooked on a circle. The percentage of gut hooked fish is way less than with a J-hook.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Circle hooks are designed to hook in the side of the mouth. Most of the time we are moving (trolling) or in current. Catfish naturally pull away from the rod with the current when they take the bait. During normal times of current I find that I get a deep hooked circle hook about 1 out of every 1,000 hook ups. This year we have no current. With that the fish will pickup the bait and rather than the normal pull away they just take off with it. Sometimes that is toward the boat and by the time anyone notices they are on they have already swallowed the hook as it did not have the opportunity to turn it into the lip.

This year I have seen about 20 of these rather than my usual one or two. I do not like to dig around in a catfish's throat so I just cut the line as low as I can and let them pass it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see on days when the cats are not aggressive biters that regular hooks work better for me.
When the bite is on the circle hooks work.For 60 some years I am used to setting the hook.It's
hard to change after so many years.

Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts