Circle hook ?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by R. D. Hilton, Dec 4, 2017.

1. twaskom

twaskom Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I have used circle hooks for several years now and do not know of any disadvantage. Yes the cat usually will run and if the rod has an active tip, the flex of the rod will bring it out to the cats lip at the right speed to get it in the correct position. I have had flatheads just set there and chomp on the bait or hold a steady mention on the line causing a slight bend but not a pull down. Then you have a choice of waiting or reeling down on the fish. Reeling down provides approximately the same removal speed as the fish running in the hopes of getting the hook in the correct position. Some will also do a (slow) sweeping action with the rod to achieve the same thing.

The biggest advantage that I like is it has little chance of gut hooking the fish. I figure a gut hooked fish is a dead fish and I want them to stay healthy so I can catch them again.

The comment that the cats do not swallow the hook, (I think) is not exactly right. The fish can still swallow the hook, just like he did the "J" hooks but because the point is turned inward, it gets pulled right back out of the throat and does not catch on anything until it gets to the jaw.

Anyway, that is my three cents worth.

As far as hook preference, I am a big fan of 8/0 Gamakatsu octopus hooks. I prefer the lighter wire over the heavy wire hooks and after years of use have not had a single problem with them yet. They brought in several over 50 pounds.

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    and one more reason to use quality circle hooks....... They catch fish when my friends are distracting me with "their" agenda!!! or maybe if i nod off:exhausted: LOL.... Ole "Twitch" has 2 over 100lbs on TC 8/0 as well....

R. D. Hilton and OrdieGunny like this.

3. OrdieGunny

OrdieGunny New Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    joe
    I agree with the above statements, and disagree at the same time. when I said "swallow the hook" that's the southern redneck in me attempting to state that they do not get gut hooked as bad.

Also I prefer the heavy wire hook as I usually run 80 lbs Power Pro without a shock leader and light wire hooks will bend a bit if the cats wrap around brush or stumps before you can get them free. But like I said, hook style is all about personal preference. find what works for you and don't be afraid to experiment with different kinds. no one person is right or wrong in what they have said, everyone fished different and know what works for them.

Zigarro likes this.
  4. mark12

mark12 New Member

Name:
    mark lemist
    I agree about personal preference, mine being that when a fish runs towards the boat I don't have to do the sweeping reel down which more often than not results in no fish at the end of the line. All the marketing that goes into "soft tip" rods and "double action" hooks goes out the window when you realize that circle hooks began to curry favor with ocean longlines commercial fisherman use. They were meant to reduce bycatch on unattended lines at sea, not tightline fishing like most of us do. You think super catfish 7 bucks a hook wants you to think you can use a garden variety 6/0 that are 30 cents apiece to catch trophy cats? All I can say is try using j hooks the same way you do circles and the result is the same without having to resort to a "reel down" of things go awry.

5. mark12

mark12 New Member

Name:
    mark lemist
    If I were running jugs, or trotlines I'd use inline circles.

6. wadekaminski

wadekaminski Well-Known Member

State:
    MO - Missouri
    Name:
    Wade
    I do more than tight line... I also drift, drag, and backbounce. I set the hook all the time with a double action style hook.

I have zero luck with J hooks and with true circle hooks... and by zero I'm talking about the amount of fish I've actually caught on these hooks.

I tell people all the time that you have to have confidence in the gear you use... when I have confidence I catch fish.

mark12 and OrdieGunny like this.
  7. tac eulb

tac eulb Active Member

State:
    missouri
    What is “double action”?

8. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    double action let the fish set the hook or you set the hook

9. wadekaminski

wadekaminski Well-Known Member

State:
    MO - Missouri
    Name:
    Wade
    Screenshot_20171207-143411.png

10. tac eulb

tac eulb Active Member

State:
    missouri
    I guess “double action” is the amount of ways to hook the fish. They described three ways. Go figure

11. Fate

Fate Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Fate Murray
    I believe what they are referring to by "Double Action" is you can reel down or sweep the rod to set it, but that's just a guess on my part..

Zigarro likes this.
  12. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    put first name
    Obviously has to do with hook-set, but I just try to "keep it simple stupid" by using circles with a fairly wide gap- in the 7/0 or 8/0 range.

Fate likes this.