Circle hook VS Kahle hook

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mongesf, Aug 27, 2006.

1. mongesf

mongesf New Member

State:
    Beardstown, Illinois
    Which is better? I have been using circle hooks and baitholder hooks and can't seem to get a good hook set and when I do get a good hook set they have been swallowed. I have been targeting average plate sized channels. Mostly been using Loopers with differant types of dip bait and fresh raw shrimp. Any thoughts?

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I use 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks 90% of the time. I love em!

3. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Gama Circles for me!

4. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I perfer the Eagle claw kahle hooks.It sounds like your having a lite bite problem-if your not getting a hook set and when you do they have already swallowed it.You may want to try a diffrent rig,or if you know cats are there and hungry try wounded live bait,they tend to strike live bait harder in my experience.Sometimes thier is nothing I can do,to me a lite bite is better than a no bite:smile2:

5. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I have the Eagle Claw kahles and I find them to be not sharp! Does anyone else notice this about the Eagle Claw kahles?

6. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i am NEVER going to use circle hooks AGAIN

i get WAY TOO MANY EYE HOOKS

i will not tolerate that

so i am not goin to use them again

Jeff

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I tried circle hooks for a year with mixed feeling about them. When a fish really hammers the bait they were great. But sometimes the fish would just peck at the bait for a while and not run with it(load the rod), this is where I had a problem with them. Because you can't set the hook with circles.
    I went to kahles and never looked back.They work like a circle hook and a "J" hook at the same time. You can let the fish hook himself or, you can set the hook(cross his eyes).
    Since changing over to kahles, I have increased my hook-up ratio quite a bit.
    As for the fish swallowing the hook, I think you are waiting to long because of the circle hooks inability to be set by you.

8. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    I bought some to use for jugs and tried them saltwater fishing with cut bait. I had a few fish cut my line so I tried using a steel leader. After that I had one hit and I landed it, about a 3ft long sand shark. He was hooked right in the corner of the mouth and hit really hard.

Everything I have read here leads me to believe if it hits hard, circles work, if it is a lite bite you might be better with the kahles.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have never had that problem with them myself. I use the Eagle Claw Lazersharp kahles. I never buy the party pack (assortment pack)so to speak, I always found them to be substandard and weak. I use Kahles in the 7/0 to 10/0 range, they seem to be a very versitile size for my use.

10. mongesf

mongesf New Member

State:
    Beardstown, Illinois
    I think you hit my problem right on the head. I ordered some more Looper rigs today, going to try the Kahle's plus he's letting me order some blanks too.

Thanks for all the responses.

What's the difference between an Octopus Hook and a Kahle?

11. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Octopus simply means the hook has an offset or slight twist to it. Circle hooks are very easy to use but are not for everyone. If you like to set the hook hard and enjoy that part than circles are not your hook. I free spool my reels and let the fish run a little then engage the reel and thats it, start to reel it in. Sometimes I use J hooks when I feel like setting the hook, it's fun too.

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I have now used just about every type of hook I know of, and I was dissapointed in Circle Hooks, because like JW said you can't set the hook so when they do the tap, tap, type of bait you can't hook them and sometimes they are big fish too.

So far I have done best with J-Hooks and the Eagle Claw King Kahle hooks in 10/0 size, they have been super sharp for me.

13. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Regarding the light bite.. Try a shorter leader. Or even weight right up to the bait. Also, with braided line, you might be able to feel more of the strike.
    A~

14. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Well, For starts you would use octopus hooks for octopues and kahle hooks for kahles (?) :big_smile::cool2:

15. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Personally I rather use circle hooks over all others for catfishing in general. Matter of fact I just received 350 circle hooks I ordered of ebay, they're 50 each for sizes 1/0 to 7/0.

I'd use circle hooks from 1 up to maybe a 3/0 for eating size channels. Just tight line them and don't "set the hook", let them hook themselves.

16. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    My hookup rate is about 85-90% with Eagle Claw Kahles, so they seem sharp enough. Are you using the Lazer points? Some of those I miss are probably gar...the run with the fish, then drop it.

17. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Kahles are proble the best all round hook, you will get a high percentage of self hook ups and if your getting a lite bite you can still set the hook. Lazer sharp hooks are extreamly sharp right out of the package, but you do need to check them from time to time and keep them sharp.
    If you have a pre rigged Looper rig the hook is easy to change out to any style hook. Just slide it up the leader an replace the hook of your choice.
    Loop

18. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I also use the Eagle Claw Kahle Lazer Sharp hooks but anyone that doesnt examine each hook to see if its sharp falls into the "A FOOL AND HIS FISH ARE SOON PARTED" category.I carry one of those little diamond hone sharpeners and touch up the hooks after each fish.:eek:oooh: :big_smile: :smile2:

19. ikefis

ikefis New Member

State:
    alabama
    :laugh:I first started using circle hooks when jug fishing and really love them for that and also for limb lining. I use circles when I am frist fishing and have had good success with them..Bank fishing...gotta go with the kahle hook.