CIRCLE HOOK USERS?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by shadguts, Mar 7, 2009.

1. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    For those of you who use circle hooks how many fish do you have that just "get off"? In the last year I've had dozens of fish that just come off sometimes after several minutes of fighting sometimes quick. My father had a fish hooked up for 30 minutes last summer. Couldn't do anything with it. After a long fight the line just went slack:sad2:. I told him it was probably a gar but when he got the line back in the boat everything looked fine and there was slime about three foot up the line. I've had several fish on that I am sure were real big that just came off. How about you? I have also caught alot of fish that were barley hooked in the corner of the mouth. I think that these fish that "just come off" are tearing the hook out of their mouths. Last few times out I've switched to lighter rods and lighter drag but doesn't seem to help. Tried different circles as well. Have you got an opinion?

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use circle hooks all time and have only had 1 or 2 come off. Usually it was after a long fight in swift water below a dam. I don't use any hooks smaller than 5/0. I hope this helps.

3. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    I am interested in hearing the answer to this question. And instead of starting a new thread ide also like to ask what are the basic types of hooks that are popular for catfish? Do you ever put a small piece of yarn on the hook as well as your bait, how about a glowbead?

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Welcome to the BOC. As I said I only use circle hooks. Some one will have an answer for you.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....how many fish do you have that just "get off"?...."

It happens with any hook, any fish, on any body of water.

There are so many things that can happen with the hook, the bait, and the fishes mouth that make blaming it on one thing is pointless. Too big of a hook may not allow a smaller fish to take the bait and hook, and too small of a hook may no be able to penetrate the lip or jaw.

Watch any bass fishing show and you will see professional anglers lose fish all the time.

6. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    This is a great topic and one that I am always trying to get my head around. I have lost several fish on both circle hooks and regular octopus hooks. I can't even hook a fish on a khale hook, I guess I just don't hold my mouth right for that type of hook. I think a lot of it has to do with the bend of the shank, off-set or strait and the type of knot that you tie on each one. I always try to snell the off-set shank and tie a palomar knot to the straight shanked hooks. Also if you are using mono or braided line plays a part in my opinion. I noticed last year that a surprising number of fish were hitting the bait and running up river toward the boat and I was loosing a lot of fish on circle hooks. This seemed to happen more at night fishing on the flats. I switched to octopus hooks and started catching more fish but the biggest one I had on got off and the tip of the hook was bent. Those big fish have really tough mouths and I think gamakatsu makes a great hook but I also think they trade strength on the tip for sharpness on their octopus hooks (if that makes any sense?) I have also lost fish at the boat on circles that seemed to be buttoned up pretty tight and the only thing I can think of is that the soft flesh in the corner tore out. The only thing that I have gathered from all of this is that I have not come across the perfect hook for all situations. So I carry circles, and octopus hooks in straight and off-set shanks and let the fish dictate what I use on that day. Some days I still walk away and wonder what I could have done different.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been using circles for about 6 years, only had a couple fish come off and that was do to the bait turning in and hooking itself.

8. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    :smile2:not a big fan of circles myself i use kale hooks and do good i guess its just what works for you

9. Dick Pasfield

Dick Pasfield New Member

State:
    Wester Australia
    Circle hooks are designed to 'catch' in the jaw hinge of a fish and mostly that's where they end up. Too small a hook for the hinge area may not always lock in correctly. Mightn't hurt to check your hook size for the size of the fish you're targeting

10. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    I use vmc 10/0 off set circle hooks..the offset hooks seem to hook a little bit deeper....my bite to catch ratio is about 98 percent range.....the other two percent is line breaks and having one run me in some stucture...

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i noticed several come un hooked when i first switched to circles, i did the just reel i found that if i set the hook slowly but firmly the hook gets in there past the barb and stays, too fast hookset and out it comes. i watched jack@$$ 2 lastnight and it looked like it took alot of umph th set the hook on steve-o :eek:oooh:. jack definatly has one of the problems listed. i cant say that you have to but i believe snelling all circles is inportaint. your not alone STL what the heck is wrong with khales it cant be us can it :confused2: if those were the only hooks i had and i could only eat what i cought id starve.

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I think YOU need to get ahold of randy at black and blue and get some of his 12/0 circles they are a huge thin wire circle that hook deep :wink::cool2: mutch better for BIG fish

13. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the input. Don't get me wrong circle hooks have been good to me. I have caught alot of fish and a few big fish on them. I have used the Diachii circle chunck lights in 8/0, the Team Catfish 8/0, Gamakatzu 8/0 circle octopus, and Mustads 10/0 fine wire demon circles. To me they are all good hooks. I like the way the circles hook in the corners of the mouth. I would like to see the circles get a little deeper in the corner of the mouth. My question probably should have been How to get the circle hooks deeper. Last week I caught a 27lb blue on a 8/0 diachii double hook rig, the corner of the fishes mouth was torn out and the other hook got him in the side of the head. also caught a 12, 17, and a 30 the other day. The 12 and 17 both were barely hooked in the corner of the mouth, both were on Gama 8/0 octopus circles. The 30 was almost hooked through the eye and wasn't getting off. Last year I was setting my drag very tight and had a lot of pull off. The hook up ratio is alot better now but could stand some improvement.

14. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    A few other things to keep in mind with circle hooks.

1. What kind of line are you using? I like mono much better than braid for circle hooks. The stretch of mono helps 'load up' the hook. A circle hook must move in the mouth until it catches the side of the fishes mouth and then pivot. Without that a circle hook with not do its job.

2. What kind of rod are you using? I like a lighter action rod. Something with some bend in the tip but still a good strong backbone. This also allows the rod to load up and let the circle hook do it's job.

3. I also tight drag when using a circle hook. I dont want the cat taking line. I want them to double the rod over and the circle hook to pivot and sink in. This is why I only use circle hooks when blue fishing. When I fish for flatheads I switch to a Kahle hook so I can let them run and then cross their eyes.

I think circles are a great tool but not a do all hook, but some guys on here do use them for everything with great success.

Also, I fish rivers so the fish almost always move away from me. In a lake the use of circles can be different as fish will run any number of ways, including towards the boat.

15. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    You may be using to big a hook,but that kind of things happen with any hook.But i have less problems like that using kahle hooks so you may want to give them a try.

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    try a circle hook with a longer shank and a wide gap (B&B). circles start to work when the hook eye starts its way out of the fishs mouth, longer shank the hooks gonna start rotating sooner .... right.

17. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Actually, I seem to rarely get bites so losing a fish would really be a plus for me :eek:oooh:
    No, truthfully, I've been using them, in conjuction with Octopus, for about two years and have missed hook-ups but not lost a hooked fish yet. generally the fish I catch are far from bragging about though.

18. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Was kinda thinking the same thing. I'll check them out.

19. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use a variety of hooks for catfish depending on baits and fish That I am targeting. For example....I use 9/0 King Kahles for targeting Flatheads and use Live baits. I use 10/0 circles for targeting large Bluecats with cutbaits. I use smaller kahles and circles for targeting channelcats. My favorite hook in the world is the large Kahles. I have no problem with hook sets. I have noticed some of the fish I catch on circles sometimes are barely hooked in the corner of the mouth and sometimes just through the skin of the lips. Almost lost a few, but managed to get them in the net.:cool2:

20. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hope this helps some.

I use 8/0 gama circles.

I also use mono line, I think the stretch helps alot.

When a fish hits good and starts to load my rod up I usually pick the rod up and just hold on and let the rod double over.

I let the fish pull hard before I even think about doing anything myself.

Once I feel the fish is on and pulling very hard, I slowly pull back on the rod.

I am very paitent, and this whole process may take 30 seconds to a minute after the first sign of a pull down.