Circle Hook Technique

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by bradley_G, Nov 2, 2008.

1. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    Ok guys, question for you who use circle hooks. I know with circle hooks your not supposed to do a "setting" motion, but I keep missing fish with just a firm retrieve. Ive tried tight lines, and slack lines, and slack with a bobber between the guides, and cant seem to get the fish on, am I doing something wrong or not doing somehting? I wouldnt assume that the fish are too small as I'm only using like 4/0-5/0 hooks. Im being sure to leave the hook exposed but cant seem to figure it out, until I can find out what I'm doing wrong, perhaps I'll go back to Kahles or something on my primary pole and cirle on the second or something. Advice anyone? I also am using the abu Amb. 5500 so I dont have clickers....

2. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    The best way for circles to work is a Stout rod holder. Keep your line tight, and don't touch that rod until there is no question wether the fish is hooked or not. Usually one good pull down on the rod and the fish will be hooked. If your fishin off the bank they make "driftmaster style" rod holder that you sink into the ground..........or even better and cheaper just get some 2" PVC....about 3-4 ft. length........cut a 45 degree angle on the bottom and you can pound them into the ground good with a mini-sledge......I fish khale hooks the same way by the way. hope this clears things up for ya.....

3. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    rod tip straight up, or angled? also, does the fact that it's Frickin Freezing have anything to do with the hookup (being the fish are so dang slow and boring)? Im trying to do some fishing, perhaps tonight and tommorrow, hope to find a spot on this forsaken lake to fish, hopefully upriver somewhere will yield higher returns. Im counting out flatheads so far on this lake and have been using cut minnows, but may go back to liver for the channels. Should I drop a hook size down to 2-3/0 taking into consideration the mouth size?

4. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    I like about a 45 on the rod angle....match the size hook to the bait, and the water down here isn't even close to being cold right now.... But cold water channel cats will put a bow in your rod.

5. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    thanks bassmassey, hope to have some luck tonight, and same to you if you ar still going out the next couple of days.

6. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Keep us informed on your luck and good luck to you

7. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    If it makes you feel any better, we've been having a really tough time hooking up with the fish for the past week or so and all I use is circles. Before the water temp dropped here, I rarely missed a fish using circle hooks. Just wait on a good pulldown and let it set for a good 10 seconds and the fish should be on without a doubt. Good luck and once you figure em out you will love them circle hooks.

8. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Whatever you do, don't touch that rod until it's bent double! :wink: Good luck. :big_smile:

9. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    BassMassey, Are you looking forward to catching your PB flathead in April?

10. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    im about due to go over the 50# mark....I know there's a few in oconee, but i felt like I had a better chance back in ohio. I hope you do put me on a biggun down there on westpoint....

11. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    well, went out for about 3 and a half hours and caught nothing but a runny nose. I decided to go close to the house instead of drive out to the river and looks like I paid for that mistake. Thanks guys for the tips, hopefully I'll get to use them soon.:sad2:

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use circle hooks 100 percent of the time...I dont pick the rod up till it's doubled over and I am sure the fish is on..Then Pull back slowly on the rod.

But they have been hiting lite as of late.

13. armyfisher

armyfisher New Member

State:
    georgia
    well every post i've read is dont right the truth to the T. A way that i have found to be helpful is to glue 2 hooks back to back one bigger than the other. Now with the colder weather coming in its deffinatley harder to tell if the fish is munching or just swimming around it. Now for me and i cant say it will work well for you because i use braided line. But when you see the rod move a lil wait till it does again and just a hair pull on the line will get um hooked. I dont know if your a night fisher or day but another way i found use full is to go get some cheap glow sticks from walmart $2 for a 4 pack, and then put them on the rod tips. some of them have the clips that clip onto the rod other times you have to wedge it in the top eye let. 9 times out of 10 it wont effect your casting but it really helps out. Hopes this works for you brother.

14. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Wait for the rod to load completely. Don't lift just reel. Don't lift just reel. Keep the rod bent and when you feel hard pressure lay into them. I use circle hooks 100% and the only time I lose a fish is when I lift too soon. You don't just not cover the hook with the bait but you must leave the gap between the point and the shank open.

15. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    So um, what do you do if the fish takes your bait and starts swumming towards you? Ive had this happen more than a few times and it usually results in gut hooked fish.

16. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    From my experience , there is only a few select brands of circle hooks that I have found work the best. The 8/0 Gamakatsu and 7/0 Daiichi circle chunk lights have performed the best. Both have wide gaps (between the point and the shank), which is what I look for when buying circles.

The point needs to be completely exposed and free of scales or debris. Hooking the bait too deep will cause the circle to turn in the bait resulting in a missed fish.