Circle Hook Sizes

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by MattyGfishing, Feb 24, 2009.

1. MattyGfishing

MattyGfishing New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    For catching 1-5 pound channel cats using two night crawlers or a small piece of cut bait, what size circle hook should I use?

2. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I only use 8.0 cirlcles. But I target blues. I have caught fish from 3/4 lb up to 80 plus on them. But what I would recomend for the size you stated would be 5.0 cirlces. Hope this helps.

Tom

3. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I prefer a 5/0 Gama circle or a #1 Eagle Claw Baitholder.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    If thats the bait your using i wouldnt use but a 3/0 or 2/0 gamma octopus circle.The smaller the hook the better penetration you can get,i use the smallest hook i can get away with.I sometimes use a 5/0 for small bluegill heads but thats just about as far as i go.I normally use kahle hooks with my cut baits for me they just work better for that but you have to use what works best for you.

5. nut

nut New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    here in central pa i've found that a size 1 to a size 2/0 circle hooks are a good comprimise, there is less chance of eye hooking, as with larger hooks in the 5/0-8/0 range. i will also use a 2/0 kahle hook for channels in this range.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    For that I would also go with a Number 1 hook or a 1/0 and as for all the worms. I do better with just half a worm or less. Theres no reason to have a big gob of worms on there.
    Even with cut bait I fillet a Skipjack and get enough bait out of one for 2 people to fish with all day. That is using a 1/0 and 2/0 hook with the small Skipjack. Killer on channels and blues. This time of year smaller is better, You will catch more fish that size with a small bait anytime the water is cold.

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I would use a medium wire, wide gap, ranging from 6/0-8/0 Good luck brother, you will like circle hooks

8. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    For the channels I'll stick with 1/0 to 3/0 circle octopus hooks or even sickle hooks in that range. Both seem to work for me with the way the channels will bite.

9. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I use 6/0 gama oct. circle hooks or 5/0 for channels or I got a bunch of eagle claw lazer sharp 7/0 7228 oct circle hooks cheap I can use those for channels or flats

10. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    2/0-4/0 for channels and 7/0-8/0 circle or sickle hooks for flatheads

11. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    6/0 Gamma Circles but 5 should do just fine too..

12. nightfisher1

nightfisher1 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    i usually use 1/0 gamakatsu circles for channels and bullheads, i've caught channels up to 20 lbs with 1/0 size hooks. for the size of fish you're going after anything between a size 2 or 4 up to about a 2/0 should be good.

13. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome to the BOC Ryan.:wink:

14. Trulife

Trulife New Member

State:
    ID
    I use 4/0 for the most part but everyone fishes different. Some people prefer fairly large hooks will others like smaller hooks for better penetration.

15. Papa64

Papa64 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I went to a show by Ken Freeman and he said all he uses is 8/0 red circle hooks for all his fishing, he said even little cats don't seem to have a problem with the size. I don't have any 8/0 at this time but am planning on trying them out. I usually use eith 5/0 kahles or 4/0 circles, when I run out of these or get low on them then I will try out the 8/0 and see how things go.

16. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    A 1/0 - 4/0 circle hook is all you need to land Chann Cats up to 20#. If your fishing for 1-3# fish 1/0 or 2/0. Then go up on your hook size for larger fish.

For years we used #2 eagle claw hooks for cats in the 1-3# range,Just a #2 NOT a 0/2. Look at that size hook and then at the circle hooks. It's not hard top see that a 5/0 - 8/0 circle hook is overkill for fish of that size.

17. monstercatcher

monstercatcher New Member

State:
    california
    Are mudsuckers or bullheads good for channel cats

18. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i am making the switch to circle hooks myself, and i am going to start carrying 4/0 for those smaller channels then i will also be carrying every other size up to a 12/0 for those monster baits. i figure to get every size is kinda mundane because there isn't really that big of a difference between one size and the next up or down.

19. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Around here both are great bait. The suckers are even good cut up ecspecially for Channels.

20. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Only problem I ever had with using a big circle hook for Channels is that ocassionaly i've had the hook go up through there eye. That was mostly smaller cats and with hooks 7/0 or bigger.