Circle Hook Question

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by river_rat_42, Mar 10, 2007.

1. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use the Bass Pro Shop brand Catmaxx Rods when I fish the Ohio River. I have two of these rods: a 9ft. Med/Hvy. and a 7ft. Med/Hvy. If any of you guys have ever used these rods then you already know that they are pretty stiff and beefy rods. Therefore the are not super flexible rods, the tips are a little bit better but, not a whole lot. Is the stiff action that these rods offer the reason that I miss alot of fish when using my circle hooks. I use size 7 or 8 Gamakatzu Circle Hooks, with live shad or small bluegill... if it makes any difference. Any Info would be awesome ,Thanks Fellas!

- OH YEAH, if you guys have any sugestions on any good rods for using circle hooks then let me know.:big_smile:

2. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I have no problems with circles I make sure the rod is in a secure holder and let the fish take the bait and bend the rod over. Make sure your hooks are sharp and the point has enough room to work.

3. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I only use circle hooks on bank poles (unattended) like a trot line , I cant stand not to set the hook, don't know for sure but it sounds like those poles are to stiff , dont give them a chance to run good ,before the hook set.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i have some american priemier night sticks. real stiff rods. i used 6-8o gam circles for catfish during the 04 season. i was missing a few myself. i tried something different and have only one bit of advice i can give.try downsizing hooks. i went to a 5o hook and rarly miss anthing now. just my 2 cents. may be worth a try, because as far as being sharp, gamatkatzu are like a razor needle.

5. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    The rods that I use are pretty stiff also. Here is a tip that I found worked pretty good last year with 7/0 circles. I believe that a more flex helps the hook find the corner of the mouth better than less flex. A stiff rod will make the hook almost snap out of the fishes mouth rather than easing into the corner. Here is what i do on my stifffer rods. Just simply back the drag off a little bit. Granted it still needs to be stiff enough, but not to stiff. then when you see the fish take the bait pick up the rod put tension on the spool with your off hand and ease into the fish. It takes a little finagaling, but once I got the hang of it I very rarely lost a fish. Give it a try!!

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Hey guys thanks for the infro on the circle hooks:big_smile:

7. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I have two Catmaxx poles med/hvy with bait caster reels and use Circle hooks have not noticed any problems with hooks setting.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    watch big cat safari al linder tells you how its done with the circles.

9. Big Cat Dad

Big Cat Dad New Member

State:
    Montana
    Might be a little to stiff for circles. I'm sure they would work but won't be ideal.

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    By the looks of it you like using your clicker on your reel. Ever think about that might be more your problem then the rod?

11. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Try hooking your shad or gills through the eyes. This leaves the point of the circle hook completely exposed to do what it needs to do. The bait will stay alive for a long time, they just dont see that catfish moving in for the kill.

12. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I use my baitclicker with circles and don't have any problem.. When the fish starts running I just lean over and lock in the reel.. Then pick up pole and start reeling him in.. I've found that if i'm missing then it's usually smaller fish.. I downsize my bait and then reel them in..