Circle hook question from NEWBIE

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by maka, Apr 15, 2008.

1. maka

maka New Member

State:
    Ontario
    Hey guys.

If you were targeting Channel cats 10lbs and up what size circle hook would you use.

I use cut bait most of the time. My bait size is usually 1" X 1.5"
    Is this to big.

What is the proper use of a circle hook.

I have caught a few fish on them but i have lost a ton more. I never set the hook and they still get off.

I usaully set my rod in a holder with the bait clicker on and the reel in free spool. When the fish start to run I will start to reel.

Should I give the handle a crank after a good run and let the rod load up really good or should I fish tight line and let the rod load up?

Do I let him keep tugging until I am sure he is on for good?

Sorry for all the ???'s

maka

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The questions is what make the site great. Circle hooks you should be using are 7/0-10/0. Turn OFF the bait clicker and just leave your rods in the holder. Use medium/heavy to heavy rod tips and it should work itself out.

3. SunburntAgain

SunburntAgain New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    I know, I know, everyone loves circle hooks, but here is my major problem with them. Where I fish, bigger fish will pick up the bait and swim straight toward me quite often. So my rod does not bend, rather my line will suddenly go slack whereupon I have to reel up the slack until I can feel the fish then set the hook. Now if a fish is swimming towards you and you set a circle hook its gonna pull the hook right out of its mouth time and time agian. I know, I've done it. Circles work great when a fish loads the rod hard and keeps puling, but they don't always do that for me. With a big khale hook they often hook themselves, and if they don't, I can do the job for them most of the time. I hope you're not more confused now than before. I'd personally recommend getting khales and trying them side by side with your circles and see what kind of result you get. :big_smile:

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use about 4/0 circle hooks there good

5. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Very good questions indeed!

6. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I always pull to the side with rod and use Diiachi circle hooks with an offset point that increases the hookup percentage. 6/0 is size i like.

7. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    Well I use them with big corks :roll_eyes: They do a good job size 4 & 5 o

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Well I would probably go with a 5/0 double action circle hook from team catfish. Although I will say this I hate channel cat fishing with circles unless there is current. Channel's like to bump the bait to many times for my liking. Also the problem could lie with the rod and line/leader set up. If you are using braid use a mono leader. The rod you want one that is going to set that hook good. A good slow MH or Heavy action rod is best.

9. CatfishHntr

CatfishHntr New Member

State:
    Texas
    You can set the Hook and Cross there eye's with these Hook's just like a J- Hook or Khale. Just my $.02. On all my Abu's I tightline them set the Clicker and Loosen the Drag till line want's too Pull off the Spool. Tighten about 1/2 Turn. I never ever Free Spool mine. But Circle Hook's is all I use. From 12/0 Super Mutu's Down too the Smallest Circle's you can get your hands's on . The small one's are awesome on Gill's for the kid's. Have not gut hooked one Yet!

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya ive had more boated fish and less lost for sure since i started using them. i drift with or sit with tight lines. one the rod folds all you have to di is keep pressure on it and reel. i give a few smakk firm tugs as i pick it up just to bury the hook though. works well for me. ten and up 5-6/0 is fine.