Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

If you were targeting Channel cats 10lbs and up what size circle hook would you use.

I use cut bait most of the time. My bait size is usually 1" X 1.5"
Is this to big.

What is the proper use of a circle hook.

I have caught a few fish on them but i have lost a ton more. I never set the hook and they still get off.

I usaully set my rod in a holder with the bait clicker on and the reel in free spool. When the fish start to run I will start to reel.

Should I give the handle a crank after a good run and let the rod load up really good or should I fish tight line and let the rod load up?

Do I let him keep tugging until I am sure he is on for good?

Sorry for all the ???'s

maka

·
Registered
78 Posts
I know, I know, everyone loves circle hooks, but here is my major problem with them. Where I fish, bigger fish will pick up the bait and swim straight toward me quite often. So my rod does not bend, rather my line will suddenly go slack whereupon I have to reel up the slack until I can feel the fish then set the hook. Now if a fish is swimming towards you and you set a circle hook its gonna pull the hook right out of its mouth time and time agian. I know, I've done it. Circles work great when a fish loads the rod hard and keeps puling, but they don't always do that for me. With a big khale hook they often hook themselves, and if they don't, I can do the job for them most of the time. I hope you're not more confused now than before. I'd personally recommend getting khales and trying them side by side with your circles and see what kind of result you get. :big_smile:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Very good questions indeed!

Hey guys.

If you were targeting Channel cats 10lbs and up what size circle hook would you use.

I use 5/0 VMC Octopus Circle hooks in all seasons except the winter. That size is selected because it fits the bait, which is normally a shad head or gut. In the winter, I use 8/0 to 10/0 sizes simply because I target much larger fish with much larger baits, some up to 1/2 pound.

I use cut bait most of the time. My bait size is usually 1" X 1.5"
Is this to big.

A 5 pound catfish can easily swallow a 6" long bait. Do not be afraid to use a large bait. If there is anything to learn here, it is that the FRESHNESS of the bait is the ultimate test. If the bait does not bleed, it is no longer fresh.

What is the proper use of a circle hook.

The most common mistake made with the circle hook is hook placement in the bait. Place the hook through an edge or through the eyes of a bait, leaving the majority of the hook exposed. Do not hook the bait twice... the hook must be exposed in order to turn in the fish's mouth and find the corner of the jaw where the majority of hookups occur.

I have caught a few fish on them but i have lost a ton more. I never set the hook and they still get off.

I usaully set my rod in a holder with the bait clicker on and the reel in free spool. When the fish start to run I will start to reel.

You've almost got it right. Use a strong rod holder. Set the drag for the rod and line strength, and lock the reel so that the line will not freespool. Turn on the baitclicker and you're ready to go. When the fish picks up the bait, he will make a run against the resistance of the rod, setting the hook in his own jaw. The rod will be bent down and jerking with the run of the fish. Do not pick up the rod until it is "loaded up" with pressure from the fish. At that point, simply reel the fish in.

It is important to have the drag set properly to allow the fish to pull line and click the clicker. Otherwise, your rod or line could be broken.

Should I give the handle a crank after a good run and let the rod load up really good or should I fish tight line and let the rod load up?

Do I let him keep tugging until I am sure he is on for good?

If the rod is loaded up, you got him. If you tug or try to jerk andset the hook, you could rip the hook out of the fish and lose it.

To set the drag properly, first, look at your rod. There will be a pound-test recommendation from the mfg printed on the rod above the handle. To protect your rod, use line that fits the rod. Using line too strong could cause rod breakage and void a warranty.

Calculate the drag setting for your line by multiplying the recommended line test by .50 or 50% If your line is a 30 pound test, the calculated drag setting is 15 pounds.

Get a 5 gallon bucket with a handle and place it on a bathroom scales. Add water to the calculated drag setting. Now, with the line strung from the reel through all of the line guides, tie it to the handle of the bucket. Lift the rod at a 45 degree angle, bending the rod. Set the drag at the point where the bucket is just lifted free of the ground. When the full weight of the bucket is on the rod and line, the drag should be slipping slowly.

Once the drag is set, do not allow anyone to adjust it. With the drag properly set, the largest fish you've ever caught can be whipped and brought to net if you take your time and do not horse the fish in.

Let the fish pull line... it wears him down. Reel line in when the fish allows you to. Do not reel against the drag if it is letting line out... it will only cause line to be twisted.

Sorry for all the ???'s

Never be ashamed to ask a question. Your question may be one that others are interested in too. It gives me a chance to show my stuff and advertize my service at the same time!:smile2:

It took me over 40 years to learn how to fish... Let me shorten your learning curve!

maka

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Well I would probably go with a 5/0 double action circle hook from team catfish. Although I will say this I hate channel cat fishing with circles unless there is current. Channel's like to bump the bait to many times for my liking. Also the problem could lie with the rod and line/leader set up. If you are using braid use a mono leader. The rod you want one that is going to set that hook good. A good slow MH or Heavy action rod is best.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You can set the Hook and Cross there eye's with these Hook's just like a J- Hook or Khale. Just my $.02. On all my Abu's I tightline them set the Clicker and Loosen the Drag till line want's too Pull off the Spool. Tighten about 1/2 Turn. I never ever Free Spool mine. But Circle Hook's is all I use. From 12/0 Super Mutu's Down too the Smallest Circle's you can get your hands's on . The small one's are awesome on Gill's for the kid's. Have not gut hooked one Yet!

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
ya ive had more boated fish and less lost for sure since i started using them. i drift with or sit with tight lines. one the rod folds all you have to di is keep pressure on it and reel. i give a few smakk firm tugs as i pick it up just to bury the hook though. works well for me. ten and up 5-6/0 is fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.