circle hook problems

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by slikk03, Jul 2, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im still having problems with gamma octo circal 8/0 the gill just slips out of the mouth no hookups, i thought theese were the best hooks to use

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    If you are using bigger gills then go up in hook size to like an 11/0 frenzy. Sharpen it and off set the point of the hook and it is a pretty good hook.

If you are tired of trying switch to an eagle claw 10/0 king kahle and your hook up ratio will greatly increase. If I were tageting flats with live bait I would use the 8/0 to 10/0 kahle and match it to your bait size. I sharpen these hooks as well but they are pretty sharp straight out of the box. I also offset the point, it seems to help on the hookups. Lock your reels down and fish it like circles or if you like to jerk put the reel on free spool with the clicker set and jerk as hard as you want to.

3. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    The problem sounds like either your using too big of hook or too big of bait for the fish in that area. Try a smaller hook first and if that doesnt work try a smaller bait. It would not be hard for a 8lb flathead to fully engaulf a large bluegill so it may just be a smaller fish. Also it could be a channel cat attacking your gill, try some cut gill on another rod and see if those pesky channels are tearin your bait off the hook, this is the best way to tell.

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i use 8/0 eagle claw octopus circles and i foud that by switching to power pro line my hook ups increased a bunch.it seems like the stretch in mono doesnt get the hook set rite but thats just my opinun

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I love circle hooks and have had great success with them. They don't do so well with smaller fish however (under 2 pounds) this is simply because they don't take the bait the way a larger fish does and they require some assistance with the hook set. So if you are fishing for big fish, then I say stay with the cirlces, if you are fishing primarily for eaters, then I would switch to an Eagle Claw, bait/worm holder hook or a J hook.

6. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    The hook is not big enough 10/0 for 5 inch blue gill heads because the hook point cant get out from the body if you go thru the mouth and out the cut, try going side ways thru the side below the gill plate.I have had this problem and had to rehook this way or go up a size.

7. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    you can`t go wrong with a kahle hook, but you have to set the hook, the only time we use circle hooks is when my daughter inlaw fishes with us. she won`t set the hook so the circle hook is the only way she can bring in catfish. eagle claw is the brand and we start with 7/0 kahles. i think if you will try these you`ll like them. good luck

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    How are you hooking your bait on? If you bite too much with the hook, the gap is closed and the hook wont work properly. Are the bluegills still on the hook after this happens? If so, you're probably hooking too much of the bait. Try hooking into the back of the bluegill about an 1/8th of an inch or just a little more. This way when the fish takes the bait and swims off the hook rips free from the bait, the line pulls ou tof his mouth and the hook will stop in the corner of his jaw. the line goes tight at this point and turns the fish around, setting the hook. If the bluegill is still on it, it may open his jaws allowing the hook to come out without ever touching his jaw.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Your hook is fine it's probably the placement of the hook in the bait. Try different placements. It also could be that your not locking your reel down and your letting the fish take line. Like the good saying goes if the hook is not in the fishes mouth to start with you will not catch him. So what good does any style/size hook give you?