Circle hook problem..

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by BLKCLOUD, Nov 17, 2008.

1. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Went fishing friday evening, caught 4 blue cat all weighting 4-5 pounds..lost several, I was using a gamakatsu circle hook and when the fish came off the hook had actually re-hook my bait therefore not hooking the fish, all the others were hooked properly in the corner of the mouth.. I was using cut shad halves that were 4-5 inches long before I cut them in half..Any ideas how to keep this from happening? on a side note, all of these were caught on a 15' fiberglass crappie pole..talk about a fight!!thanks!

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If your hook is not big enough for that size bait. That can cause that issue. Look in the bend of the hook. If the bait is filling that bend up. That can cause the fish not to get the hook.
    Also a 2 hook rig will stop that also. Have one hook in the top part of the bait, and the lower on about the end of the bait. That sure took care of that problem for me.
    That and I swapped over to the sickle hooks.
    Good luck and hope next time your hook up rate is a lot better.
    Pete

3. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I had this problem also when I first started using circle hooks, as said above the hook maybe to small for the bait you are using. I only use the biggest circle hooks I can get, Gamkutsu 8/0 and Diachii 'Lite' 7/0. I can't rmemebr the last I have had this happen since going to larger hook.

Another thing I do when fish cut bait is to offset the bait a little. I never hook it dead center.

4. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    you are letting the fish hook themselves before retreiving right? and fish coming off afterwards? if I keep getting solid hits but never hook up I change bait size if it's large bait, If it's small piece of bait on 6/0 7/0 hook and he's not getting hooked, then he can swim on by. If he gets off after he hooked his self then I put a new sharp hook on. I do use octapus circles, not a tru circle. the gap is to small for my taste on a true circle. I like the 2 hook sickle type and will probably place an order soon and give them a try. sharp hooks are important and if you dont have nothing to sharpen a well used hook it's best to tie on a new one. fishing with that 15' crappie buster of yours they should never get slack in the line to get off. but if you had a khale hook on it you probably couldnt set the hook without a running start. sssshhhhwwooosh.:wink: hope that helps.

5. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Well a crappie pole is part of the problem:eek:oooh::tounge_out: Too limber:tounge_out: I switched to Teamcatfish 8/0 double action lot better hook up in MY experience.:wink:

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the problem he said he had was the bait hooked itself again while in the water covering the hook point. ive had that problem from time to time. one thing i do that works is fillet the bottom of the bait almost all the way to the top then i flip one side over so the two sides, still connected at the top, are inside out scales to scales meat on the outsides. then i hook the top corner of the bait through both sides, the bottoms will usually spread out keeping the bait from spining around and rehooking.

7. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    agreed it's the limber rod. you gotta have something thats gonna give the line the tension to where the hook tip can pierce through the bait again even if it shifts and gets in the way. i wouldn't go smaller than a 6/0

8. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
  9. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    With the 2 hook rig do you tie both hooks or just thread on the first and then tie the second? thanks!

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Ive had that problem with a 40-80# line 1-12oz lure heavy action rod and it for d@m shure aint limber. A circle hooks point is curved in thus the name circle hook. once you hook the bait the part of the bait you have already hooked has to slide up the hook to hook it again. as it slides ip the hook the direction the hook point is going aint the same as it was when it first repiersed the bait its now trying to run with the bait instead of through.

11. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    One thing to check is to make sure the point of the hook is above the bait, i have found that if the bait is above the point i tend to hook the bait instead of the fish. If that five inch long piece of meat is sittin in a decent amount of current then i dont see it rehookin that easily, i would think the current would keep it behind the hook but thats just a figure, but that whole thing bout the gap and keepin the bait below the point is a tried and true method. Hope this helps ya out:wink:

12. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Keith, I've had this happen also. I'm using an 8' heavy action casting rod 25lb test. I'm using 4/0 to 8/0 Gams also I know exactly what you're talking about. It does happen mostly when I'm using the 4/0 and sometimes 6/0 - not sure if the fish causes this or the retrieve - possibly hitting the bottom or rocks when reeling in. You are right you can't hook the fish when this happens - reposition bait and recast.

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When I use circle hooks....I only hook the piece of bait 1 time making sure that the bait is down into the swell of the hook and not weaved onto the hook or sticking up past the barb.:big_smile: This will help not to re-hook the bait.:big_smile:

14. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    If you want to catch crappie go catch crappie. When you want to go catch cats get a cat rod! I don't think there is enough backbone in the crappie rod to properly bury the hook and make sure it stays buried. I bet it was a fight and if that is what you enjoy then keep fishing with it. As far as the second hook, snell tie it on so it will hook into the bait near the bottom or end of it. If you use small bait no need for a stinger, if you use a whole bait place the stinger in the back 2/3 of the bait. Hope this helps.

15. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    If you want to catch crappie go catch crappie. When you want to go catch cats get a cat rod!

The reason I use the crappie pole is that thankfully I get to fish with my father most of the time, His hands are about halfway numb and he cant really cast a rod and reel like the rest of us do, when he tries the bait either slams into the water right at the boat or it flies up into the trees..extremely frustrating..with the cane poles the bait placement is far greater with less stress on either of us....

16. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i would probably just use a small kahle or sicle hook since you are using that kind of pole with good reason.. it really defeats the purpose of a circle if you have to hold the rod in hand you may as well rip some lips!!! :smile2::smile2: good luck and keep pop fishin!!