Circle Hook Offset- Big, Small, or no offset?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Bream baiter, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Just wondering what you think about how much offset is best for circle hooks. Also, is your preferred amount of offset the same for blues and flatheads? I used Owner 7/0 circles with a slight offset last Monday. It was my first time using circles. My hook up rate went up sharply.

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use a lot of circles, some with a offset and some without, haven't kept tabs but dont think there is a major differance in hookup ratio. The 3 main style of hooks I use is kahle, gama octopus and gama octopus circle. I don't worry about what hook to use for a paticular spieces, just match the hook to the bait and the conditions you are fishing.

3. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

the olny circle hooks i will ever use is one with an offset i will have to look it up to see how much of one it has i am thinking 8 degrees, the ones with off sets work really well

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Like Bam said. I don't beleive there is an advantage or dis advantage to either. And, matchin the bait to the hook is also of great importance. Ya gotta have hook point exposed for a good hook up. This is true with any hook but it is extremely critical for circles to be affective.

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I use only no off set circle hooks. I was using off set circles and was hooking some flatheads in the tongue and near the back of the throat. It didn't hook much meat in the inside of the mouths, but when I use no off set I hooked up everytime in the corner of the mouth.

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Logic would dictate that for a circle hook to work as intended it would have to have no offset so that it could slide up the gullet or from the back of the mouth to the side of the jaw. However, the Gamakatsu 8/0 circles I use have offset and seem to work just fine...W

7. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    In my opinion, it all boils down matching the hook size to the size bait. When I first started using circles. I was using much too small a hook for the size bait I was using.
    It should look like the hook is much too big for the bait. Otherwise,you'll not have the hookpoint clear of your bait.

8. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I use no offset circle hooks myself. But like the others have said matching the hook size to your bait size is the key to using any & all types of circle hooks.

9. Justin

Justin New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Were very picky about our circle hooks. We have to have an offset and we have to have the backturned eye. We also look for a hook with a thinner diameter, some of those circle hooks are extremely thick.

10. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    your not kidding it seems like some of the circle hooks are just repackaged saltwater hooks. I really like the light wire ones without an offset.

11. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    Justin, which circle hooks do you use? I have been using the Gama's and really like them but am always open to try something different. Boog

12. bigboy

bigboy New Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Guys,
    The only real difference between the hook up ratio is that a hook with no offset is that it does a little less damage to the mouth of the fish and will almost always hook in the corner and not down in the gullet. hope it helps

13. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I swear by 7/0 Daiichi's in the wide gap bleeding bait (D84Z). Handles big baits with ease, hook rate is excellent and loss rate is near zero!

14. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I use Eagle Claw circles and Eagle Claw Kahles, and have some Eagle Claw J hooks and trebles as well. I don't use the J's or trebles anymore, like the Kahles probably the best. They don't have very much offset to me, just looking at them, not measuring.

15. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    My experience has been similar to Desperado - using offset hooks I was getting some strange hookups down inside the mouth, fish that were barely hooked sometimes. I prefer non offset circles.

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've never used the offset circles, but I've read a couple of articles that said that studies have shown that an offset circle is much more likely to hook a fish in the stomach, or somewhere other than the corner of the mouth, than a non-offset circle. I like to release fish over 10#, so if I often used circles, that would be a good reason to stay away from offset circle hooks. But I don't use them often. About the only time I use them is when I'm putting a bait into really snaggy water where a regular J hook, or even a kahle, would be likely to hang up. Seems like the offset circle would be more likely to hang up on a snag than a regular flat circle, so that's another reason not to use the offset circles.

17. NYRiverRat

NYRiverRat New Member

State:
    New York
    I use circles for channels and have found that hooks with no offset work much better than offset circles. J