circle hook methods

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by slikk03, Jul 15, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i usualy use circals but have no luck , how long will a flathead keep your poll bent befor hes hooked or gone, i think i reel in to soon and i miss fish how long should i wate

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    You dont have to wait to long,as soon as he loads the rod meaning your rod bends and dosent come straight back up pick up that pole and start windin cause its FISH ON!

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Don't do anything until you know he is hooked.

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    normaly just start reeling soon as the rod gets bent over but some times if the fish is not doing his part ill give my rod a good steady pull to help set the hook.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    When the pole bend you have him, now just reel in that line nice and steady. DON'T JERK OR SET THE HOOK, this will not allow the circle to work!

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Two things that can happen when missing flathead strikes using circles.

1. This is the most common: Inserting the hook to deep in the bait to where the hook point isnt exposed enough to turn and hook the catfish. The hook then turns right back into the bait when the flathead runs with the bait. The pole will load up then the flathead comes off because he never was hooked to begin with.

2. Short-strike: The flathead will grab a portion of the bait but misses the the portion where the hook is. Some members add a 2nd stinger or trailer hook to resolve this.

Try this technique...once a flathead has your bait and makes his run, grab the rod casually and point the rod tip directly where the fish is. Engage your reel and let him pull the line tight. This will force him to go left or right which will help the performance of the circle hook to do its job. At this point if the flathead still has the rod loaded he is hooked good, raise your rod tip up and bring him in.:wink: