Circle hook information

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by copycat, May 6, 2006.

1. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    These are some cats caught on circle hooks, The fish are not biguns. These fish were caught on 8/0 circle hooks and the fish are 14 to 20 inches. Don't be afraid that if you use big circle hooks that you will not get the small fish as well, this is proof that you will. Bait was shad and I just let the fish take line for a few seconds and simply start reeling in. Do not haul up on the fish, you will pull the hook out of it's mouth! Hooks used are 8/0 Gamakatsu circles on a slip rig.

Attached Files:

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    A picture of the rig

Attached Files:

• rig.JPG
      rig.JPG
      File size:
      21.9 KB
      Views:

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Same hook that I use Tom. They don't look familiar. Must be Maurice cats. LOL!

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Yes Maurice cats! caught this morning. Still huntin for the bigun.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    you caught those on an 8/0 gama circle? wow im going to have to move up in hook size,i was affraid of using to big a hook and missing the eater size cats but if your catching them on 8/0 then i guess im ok to use a bigger one.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I fished with a professional guide the other day, nothing but 8/0 circles and we caught fish from less than 1 lb to about 17 lbs and none of them had trouble getting that hook or the big bait in their mouths.

We used both cut and live shad, and I was amazed that a 18" catfish would tackle an 8" live shad. Changed the way I think about things.

Still a little hard with the circle hooks to just let it sit in the rod holder and wait though. But I'll learn I guess.

7. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Yea, I know what you mean Mr. T. You have to overcome the natural instinct to grab the rob and haul up on it. But once your used to it you'll probably bring in just about all the fish hooked. I like the circles because there really is no way the fish can detect the point of the hook, so it is important to let the cat take it and strip line for a few seconds. Then once you click the reel in to gear the hook will turn and grab just inside the lip of the fish and instantly pierce in past the barb. Cats have big mouths and I think the larger circle hook performs better then a small one.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I my self have had better luck with the oct circles than the regs but im still new to the circles and I love the fact that when you pick up the rod they are already hooked. iam gonna try the regs more now but circles are good. For everybody trying circles for the first time use a great pole holder and enjoy. Engage the reels when the clickers go off or go with the reels engaged. just let the fish hook its self and enjoy.

9. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I do like to drop to a number 6 when fishing for eaters, but that is rare.
    I like number 8's and think that is a perfect general size for everything.

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Totally Agree With Everyone On The Circle Hook Usuage & Size. I Have Many Friends That Are Captains & Mates On Large Yachts, They Always Have An Ample Supply Of "Xtra" 8/0 Circles, that Are Real Cheap To Me, HA-HA.

At First I thought That They Were Too Large, So I Put THem On My Juglines First. When I Starting Catching Fish The Same Size That Copycat Had In The Pics, I Then Started Using Them For R&R Fishing. I Love them, No Gut Hooked Fish.

If I have People With Me That Are New To Circles, I Rig Them Up With Kahle Hooks, I Feel That They Are A little More Forgiving If Someone Likes To Yank The Pole Quickly And at The Same Time gives You Good Lip Hook-Ups.

Have a good Day, Elliot

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have Gama circles in my tackle box from 5/0-8/0, and the more I catch big cats the smaller those 5's and 6's look!!

It takes some getting used to when you start using big hooks and big bait. It also makes a huge difference in the size of the fish you catch. Sure, you still get some small ones, but many are eliminated and replaced with big fish.

If you are releasing the fish the circles hooks have an extra benefit in that they seldom hook any deeper than the edge of the mouth. Out of close to 1000 catfish I have since I started using them only three have been throat hooked.

12. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    couldn't agree more!

13. mjbarby

mjbarby New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    those are the ones i originally tried, they worked, and did not see any reason to try anything else.

14. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If you learn how to use circle hooks, you'll never use anything else! Best thing since Corn Bread....Gama Hooks Rule!

15. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Wow... Looks like I'm going to moce up a hook size or two. I was already using circle hooks and I liked them better so now it looks like its time to move up in size.

16. reel pleasure

reel pleasure New Member

State:
    New jersey
    Sizes 6-7-8 werk fer me