Circle hook dilemma--or is it just me?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Muddler, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Greetings, all

I was out on the James River with my son last week. We each were fishing two rods from shore. I rigged up one rod with a circle hook and, for the second rod, grabbed a kahle hook from the box. I was reaching for a circle hook but the kahle was in the same compartment and I just happened to grab it. (No doubt this never happens to most of you guys because you keep your boxes immaculately organized, unlike yours truly.)

Anyway, I was fully aware that I was fishing one circle and one kahle--kept repeating "set the hook on the blue rod, not on the white" to myself.

Well, to make a long story short, I found that I enjoyed fishing the kahle more than I did the more efficient circle. I would "play out" the bite, easing the rod from the holder and holding my finger on the semi-tight line, feeling those little tugs and drops, etc., before judging when to set the hook. You know. Maybe miss a few, but enjoy 'em more.

I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way?

(And my wife says men never talk about their feelings!)

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I would have to agree with BAITFISH I enjoy setting the hook although this year that hasnt happend much LOL

3. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    I used kahale for awhile but found that i would catch alot more on the circles, i found myself missing more with the kahle.At first i wouldnt mess with the circles cuase i was missing to many fish then i found the secert to usein them bad boys and now i wont fish without them.Dont get me wrong i would use a kahale but i would use a circle befor. JMHO

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The Kahle style hook is all I use although I have used circles in many places.If you fish the Kahles just like the circles ie let the fish hook itself they will have the same or somewhat better success ratio as circles.It is that I've got to rear back and set the hook thing that causes so many misses.I drift fish alot and don't have to set anything I just let the fish hook itself.

5. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I like using the khale hooks and j hooks a lot better than circles. I can set out out a j or khale hook, get a couple fish, and a lot of runs. Then, I cast out a circle: same bait, same rig, same spot. The fish won't even touch it. I can have a looper rig khale and a looper rig circle with the same bait, within 10 feet of each other. I'll get about 15 runs on the khale, and nothing touchs the circle. It's Crazy. I guess I can't tell If i like circles if nothing every bites it. I do enjoy setting the hook though, so i think I'll stick with khales and J's.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Fish just fear the circles they know they will get sticked.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I normaly use just kahles myself,but i decided to buy me some octopus circle hooks just to try out.I went fishing yesterday and was missing fish all day with the kahle for some reason,so i decided to tie on a few of the octopus circles.The very first cast out with them i caught a 22 inch channel and 3 more after that one that were 18 inches,and that was the first time i ever used anykind of circle hook.So i thought they worked great,i did miss a few but that just could have been me not being used to fishing with circles,so im going to use them for awhile longer to see what happens.

8. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    ive used both like both

9. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    I use both too, Kahles for still fishing, Circles when I'm drift fishng. I did try Circles while still fishing, they just didn't seem to pull hard enough to set the hook, and if I tried to "ease" it in, I'd miss the fish.

10. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    Must of the time i fish for the big boys so must of the time when i get a hit its a fish with some size to eat.I just cant see anything that beats those circles i know its a matter of opinion but they do it for me.

11. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    FOr me it depends on the situation. If I am going ot be right on top of my rods, then I prefer a hook I can set myself. IF I am spreading myself thin (putting 20+ feet between my rods then I prefer circles, becasue they keep me from running to set a hook.

It also depends on the bait I am using I do no tuse a circle with dip bait and i use dip bait a lot.

-brian

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I switched to circle hooks for all my catfishing last year..I used to love to set the hook..Now I enjoy watching that rod bend over double knowing that a big fish is on!

13. engine35

engine35 New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    Yup,
    I use circles exclusively now. BUT there are different hooks for different jobs so to speak. Or you can say a different way of hooking your fish.
    But I think that if you are waiting for a bite while holding your rod and you set the hook with a kahle, you'll probably hook it anywhere in the mouth/jaw. And you might miss some by not even hooking them or hooking them lightly then losing them in a fight by tearing loose.
    I think if you use a circle, and let the fish hook itself by closing it's mouth and swimming off. The hook will work it's way into the corner of the mouth and it will not work or tear loose. By design, the circle will not turn or "hook" until the corner of the mouth fully bottoms out in the gap of the hook then it turns and punctures the mouth. So you can say that the circle hook takes a BIG bite into the cat.
    As you all know, the corner of the mouth has no bones, just tough rubbery flesh that stretches and gets compressed into the gap of the circle hook.
    To me, that is the best part to hook a cat.
    Just my opinion.
    Take the longliners in the Pacific for instance. They lay hundreds of huge circles on miles of line and the baited hooks are out there for dozens of hours.
    When the big tuna and swordfish gets hooked, they stay on for hours and maybe a whole day. Now thats staying power!

14. engine35

engine35 New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    One more thing....
    I love setting hooks, but I love catching them even more! :)

15. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I believe that there are times and places for each style of hook. I prefer trebles when using dip bait, I know if I have my back turned, I'm still going to have a fish. I use small J style hooks when using livers, the bait just stays on better. Circles work great when drift fishing with cut bait. I've never used Kahles(to the best of my knowledge) so I have no opinion on them. I say try everything, and stick with what you like best.

Ray

16. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I use khales mostly. With khales you have the best of both worlds, you can let the fish set the hook or you can cross his eyes if you want, with the same results. I still use circle hooks on certain occasions (like if they are hitting hard) but khales are my favorite hook by far. You will have a hard time finding a J hook or treble hook in my tackle box, these I will not use!!!

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i fish 90% circle and am even going to circles for baitfishing. #6 for bluegills. they even if 1/2 swollow it it slides up and out into the lip. i used kahyle for a bit but the missed fish ratio wen't up. i (after figuring out how hard to sweep the rod and tug for light bites) found that the circle reduses fish loss a bunch for me. i have lots of j hooks and trebles in my box. and there is a reason why. i never use them anymore. use circles for liver too. if i ever need them there there but thier mainly there for when i hear "got a hook i can borrow?" sure. take this one.

J ;)