Circle Hook Barb

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by KnotGillty, May 30, 2008.

1. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    I used barbless circle hooks for the first time recently. The most notable difference is the ease of removing the circle hook without a barb. Of the 57 channel catfish we caught recently using barbless circle hooks, 90% of the hooks were removed from the fish within 5 seconds using nothing more than our hands (no pliers).

For those of you who use circle hooks AND have used both barb & barbless, which do you prefer and why?

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have used barbed and barbless circles. i use mainly barbed, because they are easier to find in the styles i use. barbless hooks do come out really easy, bu the bait can get bumped off the hook when the cats try to pin it, or they can move the bait up over the hook point. for the most part though, i have found the barbless to be just as good as the regular circles.

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have tried flatenning out the barb on the ones I use and don't like them. The bait comes off the hook too easy.

4. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    I didn't really consider the bait coming off due to lack of barb. When we used barbless circles, we were at a lake and our fishing consisted of drifting and anchor fishing. We didn't have any baits come off, but I can see where that might be a problem in stronger currents or if you are using live bait.