Circle hook and Shad

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by f155mph, Sep 2, 2009.

1. f155mph

f155mph New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Is there a right/wrong way to hook a shad?

I got myself a cast net last night and went to catch some bait. I caught me a good amount for my first time out with the net. However they all die on the way home (only 15mins drive). This doesn't really bother me as I was going to freeze them anyway.

So when I go use them, should I cut them up? Or should I use it whole. Where should I put the circle hook? They average 3-4" and I plan to catch channel with them.

Thanks!

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Oh man! Wish we had live shad around here. I would hook them live. Dead ones felet them and hook them. Have a pole with live and a pole fetet shad:wink: Were only allowed 2 poles here in Cali.:angry:

3. f155mph

f155mph New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah I was very surprise as to how easy it was to catch them. Maybe it was the spot I was at since I did see people go there to catch shads. I caught some on my third cast and I wouldn't even call it a cast since the blob of net just fell into the water. Need to practice more. Man, shads are some fishy slimy fish.

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    in the eyes thats were we do it, if theys good size they will self hook love circals now

5. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    For fishing channels I always scale them then fillet a side off and double hook it at both ends . Seems to be the best for me . They hit it quicker then just chunk cutting it .

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I agree on hooking through the eyes.

7. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If it's live, I always hook them right above the anus. I've always been told catfish will eat a shad tail first. Seems about right seeing as shad nose dive, or have their nose dived in the ground when they're feeding.

If it's cut, anywhere in the meat with plenty of the gap and barb showing. It won't fall off unless you sumo-cast it. :smile2:

The head? Through the mouth and out the top of the skull has always worked for me.

/ James

8. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    For the smaller shad, i often run them t hrough the eyes. I personally have not noticed any difference in where I hook whole little shad. I prefer catching the large 10" shad and chunking them up personally. That is my go to bait.

9. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I usually stick them right behind the eyes. There is a real hard spot there, and the hook stays in nicely. The only prep work that I do is to cut them off just behind the dorsal fin. I do that to allow some blood to flow.

10. lazer20

lazer20 New Member

State:
    WV
    Good job, thats not bad for the first time. I agree if your fishing for channels i like to scale and then fillet them. Usually I just hook them back 3/4 of the way up from the tail it leaves plenty of room for them to set the hook. After freezing them it can be tricky they tend to loosen up alot when you thaw them out.