Circle and Kahle hooks. Your thoughts please.

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by iabowhunter, Jun 14, 2007.

1. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I'm sure that each hook has its place in catfishing, but where? I am now using Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks in sizes 6/0, 7/0, and 8/0. Now I'm looking at these Kahle hooks and wondering if they would be a better choice for live bait such as creek chubs or bluegill.
    What do you all use and why?

Is there any brand better then another? Is a Mustad just as good as a Gamakatsu?

Thank you for your imput. Untill this year I only used regular J-hooks for catfish. It was a whole new experience not setting the hook with the octpus circle hooks. A couple times I swear I felt the bait coming out if the mouth.

Thanks again!
    Phil

2. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    there are a few other posts on this. i like the gama circle hooks, 1: cuz i'm lazy and would rather the fish hook himself. 2: because 99% of the time the hook is in the corner of the mouth where it is easier to remove and safer on the fish.
    kahles are good cuz most of the time the fish will hook himself or you can still "rip his lips off" if thats what your used to.
    size of the hook depends on size of the bait.

3. DukeCat

DukeCat New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Circle hooks have always worked well for me.

4. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    6/0 to 9/0 eagle claw circle sea,for flatheads untill they give me a reason to switch, i do use kahles for channels,cause i dont fish as much structure for them.

5. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    guess for me its a personal prefference. I have used all 3 styles on trots, jugs rods and limbs, straight "J" work best for limbs for me, khale's for jugs an circles for th rest, but I still mix it up just to see if there is a certain hook that out performs on diffeernt set-ups. 6 to 1 or half a dozen of th other. I own gama's, mustads, and eagle claws, they all work just fine for me.

6. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I have not limbline fished so I can't say about that. The only other thing I can add to this thread is that I also use Tru Turn, Owner and Daichi hooks. My preference so far is the Daichi simply because it has a much wider gap than any other. Circle Chunk Lite.

Cheez

7. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I havent found those 2 brands here, guess wal-mart or academy dont carry them. or i have overlooked them. or r they a specialty hook some-where else?

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Phil,first of all Wecome aboard the BOC Glad to have You Sir. I have tried them all and each has it's place.But for me I Love them Kahlie hooks the best of both worlds in this mans opinion!!! and just last year I started useing a hook that looks a lot like a kahlie but it is called a sickle hook and it is a offset hook and my hookup rate has even gotten better than with the kahlie hooks Man I love them!!!!! had to buy them off ebay. cabellas has them but only in a multy pac and I don't use the smaller ones,I like at least a 7/0 or a 8/0.Give them a Try I think You will be Happy. See Ya. J.D.
    :big_smile_2::big_smile_2::big_smile_2::byebye:

9. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Thanks for the replies. I'm going to buy some hooks other then the Gamakatsu's and give them a try. I figure I'll fish a different hook on each pole and see what happens.

I'm just ready to catch some fish!

Thanks again.
    Phil

10. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Daiichi makes a great hook in the Circle Chunk Lite, but they'll run you almost $1 each in 7/0 size. The only advantage they have over a traditional circle hook is that you *can* set the hook if you need to. And about the only time you might ever need to is if a cat grabs the bait and runs straight toward you, putting slack in the line. Otherwise they're no better than other circle hooks in my experience, just a lot more expensive.

I can buy 25 Gamakatsu 8/0 Octopus Circle hooks for about $12. Gamakatsu makes the sharpest hook you'll find anywhere. I don't know why you'd want to switch to something else unless it's just to experiment...

I currently use circles for all my fishing -- anchored in river current, drifting in reservoirs and anchored in still water, using live and cut bait in all those situations, and haven't found any reason to use a Khale or any other style hook.

But the bottom like is, use whatever hook you like the best - I gave up trying to help the circle hook "non-believers" see the light; I know they work for me and that's about all I need to know!:smile2:

11. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I use circles for channels and blues when I use cut bait and kahles when I use live bait for flatheads.

12. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I first got started with Gamakatsu hooks when I was big into bass fishing. When I saw the octopus circle in the bait shop, I had to have them. I never botherd trying something different. I just got to thinking about fishing with creek chubs with the point of the hook wanting to dig into the side of the bait. Before the octopus circles, I used a regular J hook and put it through the mouth and hooked in the tail.

Can you hook chubs through the head with out killing them?

Sorry for all the questions....these circles are pretty new to me. I appriciate all you replies!

Thanks again!
    Phil

13. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I will buy some big kahles just so I have another option for hooking live bait.