Cincinnati Bass Pro Shops...

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by kyelkhunter3006, Dec 30, 2009.

1. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Is it just me or has any else noticed that BPS in Cincinnati changes prices on their stock all the time? Here's an example of what I'm talking about...

Not even two weeks ago, I was up there getting some stuff for X-mas and noticed that they still have a couple of the Bill Dance Catfish rods (not the combo's) in 8' med/hvy spinning. Not the best in the world, but they were marked $19.99 (I had them scanned to verify it), so I figured, what the hell, they'd make good loaner rods.

I went back up there today, and now they're marked $34.97 on one rod and $29.99 on the other two. All three poles have the same model # and ratings on them, and the UPC's match as well. Price check showed $29.99 on all three. :crazy:

They said that they must have gone back up since X-mas was over? OK. Discontinued items getting marked back UP after X-mas is not an example of good retail management. :eek:oooh:

I see this all the time at that store, on tons of items. :angry:

Maybe I just notice stuff like this more often than a regular shopper would. I have a serious background in all aspect of retail work, so I'm always looking at prices, bar codes, comparison shopping, etc. I do it every day in my work, so I always do it when I'm shopping.

Maybe I am just being pissy about not getting some cheap rods. :smile2:

But I still see that happening all the time.:wink:

2. loganfrum94

loganfrum94 New Member

State:
    ohio
    yea dude not in cincinatti but in richmond virgina( my uncles live there) it was on tree stands though the same kind and model and every thing but like one was 89.99 and one was 120.00 and i asked asnd both of them wer 99.99

3. mr.seaark77

mr.seaark77 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I wish there was more places to shop around out there that had a better variety of catfish and river gear and better prices then just bass pro i order a lot off the internet but a lot of times i like to see what im buying before i buy it i guess it could always be worse .

4. festus

festus New Member

Yep, I made my first trip to the big BPS near the Tennessee Smokies stadium in Kodak yesterday and I was really disappointed. :sad2: Everything I looked for was out of stock. :embarassed: No Ugly Sticks over 7' long. No PowerPlus surfcasters on the shelves. No Bill Dance Catfish Combos.:confused2: The only circle hooks available were in packs of 10. No muskie baits. Very limited supply of striper swimbaits. :angry: I wouldn"t have bought a cotton picking thing had I not received a gift certificate for Christmas. So I finally found some big Stumpknocker striper jigs for $2 apiece and loaded up plus a spool of line. Our Gander Mtn in Knoxville is better. And I noticed a couple of items I was interested in weren't even priced. :eek:oooh: If a business is too lazy to post the price of something, I'm not buying. :roll_eyes:

5. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    If there were only a Cabela's near me... oh the money they would make! I went to Bass Pro today with $125 in gift cards and didn't even buy anything. How much does that SUCK? I wanted a couple more rods but couldn't decide. I'm thinking a couple of the Cat Maxx 8 ft spinning rods are up my alley, they're pretty stiff for their rating, which is fine, I don't like rods with flimsy tips, but I can't decide if their worth $65 each, even if it is "free" money.:confused2:

6. mr.seaark77

mr.seaark77 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i just got two new berkley e cats and i love them think im going two try and get two more great rods for drifting very happy with them:roll_eyes:

7. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I don't shop BPS unless I absolutely have to. All of my reels come from ordering online, fortunately BPS carries one of my favorite rods though. I've never noticed the price hikes, but then again I don't go there enough and I only buy a select things when I go.

If you live near Colerain/White Oak area you may want to try out Field's Sporting Goods. They're a small business but they have a decent inventory, and good prices. They'll also order most sinkers/hooks/etc. if they don't have it in stock.

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    LOL Ive done that also (not BPS) but get gift cards and want to spend it sooooo bad but get to the place and see something that I really want but dont want to spend my "free money" on it LOL

9. festus

festus New Member

It looks like a BPS in a town in as big as Cincinnati would have their act together. It's been a while since I've been up that way, but I have cousins living there. Yep, we need a Cabela's in my area. I have to give BPS credit, however, they're better than Dick's Sporting Goods. My girlfriend did find a good pair of boots at BPS. She said the reason that BPS doesn't have what I'm looking for is because they are a BASS Pro shop. She thinks they only specialize in bass gear. :eek:oooh: Well, she's almost right. :smile2:

10. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I asked a guy there if they had anymore 8/0 Gamakatsu Circles in stock and he looks at me like I had two heads and goes, "The hell you catchin'?"

11. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It is overpriced, way to busy and usually a royal pain to go there, but if you have a boat or a tournament coming up and you are missing something it is great to have.

12. mr.seaark77

mr.seaark77 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have been to fields sporting goods im about 25 mins from there they do have good prices and a good bet of cat fishing gear great little store .:roll_eyes:

13. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    I'll have to check out Fields. The catfish stuff at BPS is really catering the the pay lake fisherman. Lots of LONG rods (you know, the longer the rod, the bigger the fish, ha ha), prepared baits, and those floats with 2' tubes attached to them to keep them from tangling and making it flip or whatever when it goes down. But, there are a TON of pay lakes in Cincinnati, and those get fished by more people than the river does, I'm sure.

14. festus

festus New Member

BPS wants the same amount of money for a couple of 4 or 5 oz sinkers for what I can pay for four 4 or 5 oz sinkers at my favorite Mom & Pop bait shops. Gander Mountain is also overpriced, but not as bad as BPS and they at least have bargain tables. Gander Mtn always has a good assortment of name brand crankbaits, big swimbaits, plastic worms, grubs, and crappie baits marked down 50% to 75%. No such thing at BPS. :angry: And Gander Mtn. also has more catfish gear than BPS.

15. longhaulpointer

longhaulpointer New Member

State:
    ohio
    the problem with bps in cincy is that stuff is never where its supposed to be. People pick up items and put them other places. Also there signs arent very clear. Was there and looked at some abu,cat max combos, sign said 60 bucks or something close. I picked up 3 and went to the register. They rang up 135 each. Went back and the and the worker said that the sign was in the wrong area. he didn't bother to move it either?????
    Also, in some of the paylake shops you can get decent deals, i don't fish paylakes, but usually bait there

16. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    BPS will be moving soon, their lease in that mall is up.
    I hope to God a Cabela's comes in somewhere within an hour drive.

17. RIVERRUNT

RIVERRUNT New Member

State:
    reynoldsburg ohio
    Are they still going to be in that area?.yeah it seems like cabelas has more merchandise that i want to buy.HNY EVERYONE

18. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio

I'm not too sure. I have a couple of friends who work in that mall and they told me that a few places should/will be moving on as their leases expired on 2010. Personally I don't think it would be very intelligent for them to stay there, as that mall has very little revenue. There's quite a few malls (if they attached to one) north and south of Cincinnati Mall that would be a better choice.

19. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Alright, tell me a store that doesnt do that stuff???? Trust me there isnt one on the planet!! Things in wrong place, prices going up or being marked wrong.

I can honestly say I absolutely LOVE Bass pro shop. Yeah if they did have some more compitition i would go for the better deals but think about if we didnt have it in cincinatti. I live over an hour aways and am as happy as a pig in $hit when I walk out the door to go there. If a catfisherman cant get what he needs to fish with from basspro, your one picky person. With the acception of heavier lead sinkers I can catch fish on things sold there with no problems.

That place is like my heaven!:wink:

20. longhaulpointer

longhaulpointer New Member

State:
    ohio
    i dont think theyr'e going anywhere. I live bout 15 mins from there and that place is always packed, even if the mall has nothing in it. Plus it would be rather expensive to move it. I've been to the cabellas in michigan on the way to unting trips and the store out west a couple of times and theyr'e nice but i feel bad for people who would drive hours to get to a store. thats what the pc is for.