Cimarron River

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by mtrimble, Dec 2, 2005.

1. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I love this salty river. I fish this one alot and have actually pulled some decent blues (7-15 lbs) out of it. Lots of flatheads in it also. During spawning season you'll always run into a noodler or two. Very clear water due to the high salt content keeping the vegetation low. If you fish here with your dog be prepared for some vomiting. It also has some excellent tributaries. These tributaries are where ive caught my biggest fish. Cant say which ones cause ive got to keep a few secrets. Anyone fish this river or any of its feeder streams?

2. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    how far west are you fishing? i know where the river starts turning into the lake at keystone lake has some great honey holes. this is a river that im just now exploring so im still figuring it out. i didnt know about the salt content though. im guessing that makes for good fillets if you eat what you catch. keep us posted on your success.

3. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Yea the salt is due to the river running through the salt plains. Ive fished it as far west as about 10 miles west of Kingfisher and as far east as a little east of Guthrie. Ive caught blues under the bridge north of kingfisher. I also noodled a blue in some red sandstone outcroppings in that area also. In western oklahoma be careful if you start going up into the tributaries. The landowners can pretty mad about tresspassing. If your in a canoe though your legal. But the stream bed is private property.