Cigarette butts for bluegill bait?!

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by flannelman, Apr 22, 2006.

1. flannelman

flannelman New Member

well guys, its true. ciggerette butts really do work for big gills and redbreasts. i was at the lake today havin no luck with artificials so i decided id give them a try. not only did they work, i actually outfished a guy usin crawlers. i was able to land 8 bull redbreasts each about 1lb and up. i dont know wat it is that makes them go crazy for it but what ever it is, it sure as heck works.

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hmmm thats interesting. I have never heard of that! I dont smoke so it could be a problem, but have some buddies that do, might just have to tell them about that. Interesting tip thanks!

3. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Nice tip. I have seen big bluegills go over cig. butts however I never put the two together. I don't smoke so I know I will never use them as bait.

4. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I just heard about that yesterday during school when me and my buddy was talking about weird catfish baits. I also heard that the origional Trident gum works after it's been chewed for a few minutes. My buddy tried that and caught a nice little eater.

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Oh great, like we dont have enough people throwing their cig. butts in the water.;) I guess as long as the fish clean em up.lol

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :) no Wonder The Fish Won't Bite.thier Eating Everybodys Cig. Butts.

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    menthol, lights, or full flavor?:D

8. flannelman

flannelman New Member

i dont know if they were menthols, lights, or full flavor. haha. i think they favored the marboro golds though:p

9. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Ahh ha, the little nicotine addicts. Try the nicorette gum next time, maybe some of those fish are tryin to quit. :p

10. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    How are the cig buds rigged? Do you use a splitshot and sink them or do you let them float and let the fish hit them off of the top? This sounds like it might be worth a try sometime.

11. flannelman

flannelman New Member

wat i did was since i didnt have a bobber, i just took the hooks off of a popper that i had, tied a length of line from the rear eye to a small hook. then i cut off a little piece of the butt and put it on the hook. after it got soaked with water, it sunk. thats when they hit. im sure u could use a split shot to get it to sink faster. i dont know how they would react if it floated. give that a try as well. good luck

12. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thing is there are hard getting off to because there is something in the filter that makes them not fall apart used them as bobber stops when in need but never thought they would catch gills too.

13. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    interesting, just when you thought youve heard it all.may have to fiddle around with that a little.

14. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    Thanks for the information guys....i will have to go try it out sometime.

15. maverick43812

maverick43812 New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey im new to the site just read about fishin with cigarett butts went out tried it today didnt work were i was but i have found that slugs i have picked up in my own yard at night work well on bass and medium sized catfish.

16. flannelman

flannelman New Member

well i reinforced the cigerette butt idea today by catching 16 bit redbreasts each well over 1lb which is pretty good for up north.

17. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    flannelman (steve) isn't lying guys! THis method really does work i fished with him recently and he used this rig which he explained and it truly did catch him quite a bit of bluegill! Well worth tryign out. I didnt have any luck unfrotunately i musta be doing somethign wrong (which isn't uncommon). But def ivei t a try if u read this and are shaky (you may just end up with a wholel otta yummy bluegill to fry!)
    Joe

18. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I heared it works for cats too. I've tried it, no luck, anybody else have any luck with them?

19. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    ummm they sposed ta be used filters or unused? i tried a piece o one o my used butts other day. they did mess with it some, but piece of nightcrawler worked better.

20. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i dont dip, cant stand the smell of it, but why dont someone try "souring" some chicke gizzards in dip and water? heck, it may make a great cat bait! think menthol would be best, it was for the "gills:big_smile: