Cicadas

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by squirtspop, Aug 6, 2006.

1. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Got this out of the Peoria (Illinois) newspaper. Lots of fish bait available next year.

Cicada summer ahead
    If this year's relatively minor emergence of cicadas is getting on your nerves, you'd better make other plans for next summer. That's when we can expect a huge emergence of 17-year cicadas according to Forest Park Nature Center naturalist Christina Kiefer, who had an informative article in the latest issue of Tracks and Trails.
    Kiefer recalled that in 1990 the huge numbers of cicadas led to cicada-eating contests and even the creation of cicada jewelry.

2. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I've never used them for bait, but I don't see why they wouldn't work.
    Anyone here ever tried them?

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    New it had to be getting close to the 17 year mark. Neighbor and I was just talking about this the other day. I remember that they was one big pain. Never used them for bait.

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    How do you catch the little buggers...?:confused2:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

5. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    They work great for baitfish like bluegill, never had a cat hit one, they didn't last long enough to make it to the bottom.

Use the live ones, they get mushy fast when they die.

6. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    We had them hear in Cincy last year.My sons caught lots of fish on them in our pond.One foot deep under a bobber is what they used.With as many flying around they are easy to catch or pick them off the tree bark.They are neat to watch come out of the cocoon and fly away when there wings dry.Try them they are a great bait while they are around.

7. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    When they come out they are everywhere. We picked em off tree trunks, fence posts, shrubs any thing they could climb up on after they emerged from the ground. Make pretty decent bait too. Bass will hit them as soon as it hits the water.

8. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Grab the grub form before they climb a tree and develop wings. Last time this happened in AL we had thousands. We colllected them and caught the heck out of channels. Even work after freezing. We picked up gallons of them.

9. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i must really be slow.
    i have been calling cicadas locust all my life and didnt know any better till i looked it up on the web tonite.
    i thought these fun to put on a string buzzing insects were locusts all along and the locust i allways though were just field grasshoppers

so for others who may have not been taught correctly here is what i found on web to be correct if it isnt please let me and others know thanks

10. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    We had our emergance of 17 year cicadas I think it was 2 summers ago maybe, could have been 3. It was wild, and incredibly loud. And the fish caught on, everything was hitting them. Using them on top water around trees overhanging the water we caught bass, bluegills, crappie, and 2 channel cats. Also knew a guy that was using them as carp bait. Just hook them through the rear end with no weight or bobber, just cast them out there and kinda let them fly with the hook and then hit the water, just let them sit there and flutter on top of the water and in about 10 seconds, something will take it.