Cicadas as bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by gebs, Apr 24, 2007.

1. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Starting next month there is scheduled to be a MAJOR Cicada hatch in my area. What I want to know from those that can remember the last hatch is, what fish can I catch using Cicadas as bait?

There will be so many Cicadas that catching them won't be a problem, I'm curious what might bite on them? My initial thought is Bass as a top water lure, but if I sink them will Cats go after them too?

2. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    We had a big hatch just a couple of years ago here around the months of May/June. Let me tell you, when they hatch they are a lot of fun as bait. We used them on the topwater and caught largemouth and smallmouth bass, bluegills, and redears. I also witnessed one guy catch 2 carp that weighed in at 14lbs and 19lbs using the same topwater cicada method. Didn't catch any cats, but I'm sure fished under a bobber near an overhanging willow tree or something will likely get them. We were fishing any overhanging tree areas, but it never occured to me to try for cats because we were limiting out on eater sized bass and panfish.

3. jonboy4542001

jonboy4542001 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Never caught a cat on them, but they make a wonderfull top water bait! Can't really go wrong fishing them when the bass are active!

4. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I have caught flats and blues using cicadas. I usually switch to a smaller hook and use a cork and let it float on to of the water.

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Never thought of useing them Thanks for the Idea

6. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    If ya mean locusts, i dunno!
    if ya mean grasshoppers, they are excellant catfish baits!

7. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    i bet they would work great for big panfish. small bass would probably take one too. as for cats i bet they would eat it, if it was an easy meal