Chunky Pecan Pie Bars

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Catgirl, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

ATTENTION Triple 7s - do NOT look at this, you have been warned :smile2:.

Oh my gosh, these are good! I had planned to make 'em at Christmas, but there were SO many other treats, I didn't. Had the ingredients here, so Saturday when it was rather nasty outside, I felt like baking. In the words of Rachael Ray, "YUM-O!" The pecan pie part sorta sinks into/melds with the crust, and the added chocolate is scrumptious. (I'm sure you could leave the chocolate out if you wanted, they'd still be good - just thinner.) I was gonna wait and post this recipe for Christmas '08, but I think these would make great Valentine treats as well. Don't see why you couldn't take a heart-shaped cookie cutter and use that to cut 'em after they cool. It would make a nice gift for someone (hint hint brothers, most ladies would like this better than BOUGHT candy), and you'd get to eat all the l'il scrappy pieces yourself :cool2:!

Chunky Pecan Pie Bars

CRUST: 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour; 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened; 1/4 cup packed brown sugar

FILLING:
    3 large eggs
    3/4 cup corn syrup
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    2 Tbsp. butter, melted
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 3/4 cups (11.5-oz. pkg.) semi-sweet chocolate chunks (I did not want quite this much chocolate in mine, and I used SS chocolate chips - about 1 1/4 cups.)
    1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans, toasted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 13x9-inch baking pan.

Crust: Beat flour, butter, and brown sugar in small mixer bowl until crumbly. Press into pan. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

Filling: Beat eggs, corn syrup, granulated sugar, butter, and vanilla in medium bowl with wire whisk. (I used the hand mixer on low, already had it out.) Stir in chunks/chips and nuts. Pour evenly over baked crust. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until set. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.

Makes about 36 bars.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tanya your making me hungry, and I'm diabetic. Thanks for the receipt. I will pass it on.

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Oh WOW/....Catgirl...can't wait too try those.:smile2:

4. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    OOOh Tanya, I'm gonna print this off and hand it right over to Jan, MMMMMmm

5. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    I tell you what Flint, You're slow. I done printed this one and Sara is workin on it right now

6. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wow that sounds good..........

7. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    I actually think this is gonna be a good one for JAN to fix at K6--HeHeHe

8. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Thanks Tanya, Im gonna print that one off. Chey has taken an interest in cookin sweets, Im gonna get her the stuff to try it out herself. It sounds wonderful.

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

They're really good Leslie! You know how homemade sweets usually aren't that appealing after a few days? (At least to me they aren't.....) Well, these are still awesome! Let me know how Chey's turn out.

I love your new avatar, it's great! You're such a cute punkin. :cool2:

10. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    those sure sound good thanx tanya

11. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Tanya did yours look like this? can't wait for them to cool

Attached Files:

12. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Oh, you're so nice, thanks for the pics! Yes, mine look very similar to that. Did y'all use the chocolate chunks or the chips? I can see more nuts and chips on the top of the ones I made, might just be because yours are still pretty hot and haven't settled yet. I think Sara's are a bit browner than mine, but that's prolly because of my weird oven :smile2:. Hope you enjoy them, I know I am! Get a big glass of cold milk, or maybe some coffee.....MMMMMM.

13. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Those sound real good, send me some Tanya....lol
    I have to have my sugar fix in the evenings.
    Thanks for this recipe.

:hungry::0a31:

14. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Those sound awesome, but at this time I'm on that (diet) thing.....but I sure will keep them in mind!! Yum!

15. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Darn--I just wrte you an answer Tanya and then lost it somewhere. The darker color is from a couple of tablespoon of Mocha mix I added. we used Chips and 1/2 cup of splenda so Mickey you can eat these also. I'm also type 2.. GOOD recipe folks and really easy.

16. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I'll be trying me some of those,,,
    ,,my wife said so.LOL thank you Tanya.:big_smile:

17. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

RUH-ROH :sad2:. I REALLY hate to say this, especially when someone has already made these.....but an ingredient was left off the list. It should say 3/4 cup granulated sugar, right after the corn syrup. I was POSITIVE that was in there, and have looked at that recipe several times today. Everyone who has posted on this thread has been sent a PM, in case they printed it out already; and I have contacted a staff member to resolve this problem. I sure hope anyone else who may have printed it reads this post. Please forgive me - think I'll forego posting recipes at 2:45 in the morning anymore :sad2:.

18. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Geese, you can't belive anything you read anymore:confused2:

19. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Tanya, Thanks for the recipe. Good stuff. Very Rich. LOL.
    Yesterday I was home alone, bored , rain, cold so I made a batch. . I'm like you on the recipe. I like a little less chocolate. I eye ball that part. I did add more pecans just to empty what was left over in bag. Everybody likes it. Wife wants to save some for Monday to take to my Son across town. It's getting ate as I type and we still got tonight . We well
    see if he gets any. LOL.
    Wife made some white chocolate coffee. I had a cup or 2 and the pecan bars or 3, maybe 4. I'm on a diet so I didnt eat more than 6, I'm sure it was under 10. LOL. My keyboard is sticky now.

I think it would also be good using peanut butter chunks and or mixed with chocolate chunks .

Couple pics of the mix and after it was done.

20. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Tanya we finished the batch I made and Sara says no for a month. Yea Right...Going to use a little less choc. next batch and maybe just a little more mocca drink mix. ----Sure good recipe girl!!