Chunk or Fillet Bluegill Cut-Bait?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Gibbzilla, May 31, 2008.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Which is better to do for channel cats in a kinda still lake?

2. Creaz93

Creaz93 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've been wondering the same thing:eek:oooh:.

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use the fillets and the heads if i'm not using it live. go through the meat side of the fillet at a corner, double it over and go through the skin at the opposite corner of the fillet. i use circle hooks, and this keeps my hook point clear of the bait, allowing better hookups. for the head, i go in the mouth and out the forehead. i like cutting up any of my cut bait while it's alive, because it bleeds real good, especially the head.

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When fishing with cut bluegills....I like to fish with the heads and guts.:big_smile:

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I went out today midday using liver & cut from shore. I forgot a knife so I had to tear it up by hand so it was chunky fillets, about 2". I got a nice 19" Channel using cut warmouth and busted a few off in the timber on both cut & liver.

6. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    I have always had better luck with chunks. I cut the head off then cut a steak chunk then gut pocket chunk then the tail chunk. I always cut the tail off!! i have never caught a fish off of the tail. I also use the head as a piece of bait.

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    just remembered this- on small perch you can butterfly them... go like you're filleting them from the tail, just enough to expose the guts. then throw them out hooked through the head. this works great when they have eggs in them, and you can slit the egg sack for extra scent.

8. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    FILLETS 100% of the time.in pond and lakes,Salmon strips are great , cut against the grain of fatty tissue, that way you can run your hook thru the fat which helps keep it on the hook..I fish lakes and ponds 99.8% of the last 25yrs, other than this, use head with guts exposed, hooked thru the eyes..IMHO..Kenny

9. mswaterfowler

mswaterfowler New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I usually cut a 4" to 6" gill into thirds and then cut the middle third in half lengthwise. Surprisingly, i got my biggest bite on a small tail. it immediately snapped my 12 pouns line i had been using.

10. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    My biggest seem to come on the head with some guts trailing. I tend to use a fillet until they are used up, then I chunk up the rest of the carcass.

Richard

11. WhiskerWayne

WhiskerWayne New Member

State:
    Yukon Oklahoma

Thats a great idea. Thanks for this tip.

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Most of the time I chunk or "steak" cut my bait. There are times that I will fillet a really big bait fish so that I can target big fish. 85% of the time, I chunk

13. cat stalker

cat stalker New Member

State:
    missouri
    I usually use the head on one pole , a fillet, and a chunk on the other 2.
    Then i let the cats tell me what they want. I always leave a head on at least one or 2 of the lines they always produce for me.

14. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Our channels like herring/threadfinns. My favorite way is to take scissors and cut off the tail, then slice the belly. If I'm not mistaken, channel cats have the best sniffers on them so slow scent release helps them zone onto your bait.

Another note.... I've determined that some days they want them whole, some days gut pockets and some days they just don't care what it is they aint hungry...some days they will eat everything. I say its always good to set poles different ways to be sure what they want.

-Jim-