chumming

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by kat king, Jun 25, 2008.

1. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    i have chummed several times and never seem to get fish just turtles can anyone help?:confused2:

2. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    If you need the chum to last a little longer, you could cobble together a
    pierced plastic chum bucket that could be reused or buy a wire minnow
    trap plug the ends and fill it full of your favorite chum mix. If you got just
    a little time for a couple of days in front of your fishing trip, chumming
    at the spot before you show up to actually fish works pretty well. Use of
    the above mentioned equipment increases the effectiveness of the chum.

3. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    thanks for the reply i will try that out i have been waitin for a input on this subject...:big_smile:

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    yrs ago we would buy a bag of cheap dog food then throw it in the hole and come back a few hours later

5. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    i have used dog food dont remember if it worked or not it was yrs ago.. thanks gus on the reply i am gonna try that next time i go out..:smile2:

6. cat lineman

cat lineman New Member

State:
    kansas
    I have 30 gal of beans mixed with wheat that have been soaking for awhile now that I prob need to get rid of before the dog knocks it over or something,work busy now and spare time is sparse if anyone wants them let me know I'll help you load the barrel I'm in Olathe

7. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    What are you useing for chum? Soybeans seem to work the best. With grain prices so high you almost can't use seed anymore....$35 a bag if you can find some spillage or old seed it's not so bad. Bin run beans are much cheaper but harder to find if you are close to the city.Milo is much cheaper and will work don't smell near as bad either.Chumming ain't magic.If you chum an area where there are few fish you ain't gonna catch too many.Find a concentration of fish....around a dropoff or a feeder or a brushpile where you have caught fish before and get em excited. If you find the right spot you can really hammer them. Be sure and catch and release no need to decimate the population.I like to find a brushpile on the depth sniffer and drop a marker bouy 3-5' from it.drop your chum around the bouy and fish as close as you can to the brushpile without being in it.If you find the right spot 30-50 fish will be an average day 100 is a possibility. I have a counter that hangs on a lanyard and it goes to 100. I have had to reset it before.Average size depends on where you are mostly 1-2 lbs on the bigger lakes with an occasional fish up to 10lbs. Don't overkill on the tackle.A medium spinning rod w/10 lb test will get er done. My pb channel 24lbs was burping up soybeans when I caught him.

8. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Roadkill can be a wonderful chum if you can burn the gas to prowl the roads
    and find it. Be prepared to pop a puffed up dead coon or two and stuff him
    into the ol' minnow trap we talked about earlier. If you don't want to spend
    money for soybeans, get creative. Also remember that fish guts are chum
    too, so success feeds on success. You can draw every crawdad in the
    hole to one place and Mr. Whiskers will follow sure as the world. The turtles
    will just have to chew on wire, though or content themselves with a few
    mudbugs. Think a little, chum a lot, eat fish whenever you want to!

9. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Good info to have here fella's.

10. onionhead1112

onionhead1112 New Member

State:
    Ocala, FL
    I chum using "Method mix". its from UK carping . I mix roughly 5lbs of cracked corn, 5 lbs of chicken layer crumble, 4 or more blender fulls of ground up cat or dog food ( dry to a powder) . mix with lake or river water only slightly ( very slightly ) moist till you can make a nice ball of mix that will not fall apart. you can either toss the balls into the water directly or mold a small amount around your sinker to help in the attracting to your bait. the Mix breaks down to leave a nice pile of bait and smell for your fish to follow. You can omit the corn and use more dog or cat food in a less powdery form if you like.Mix only a small amount with water at first till you get it down on the amount of water to use. you can add various flavoring too, salt, flavored salt, crushed garlic. various stuff can be added even dry flavors. You can also add rolled quick cook oats to stiffen up the mix if needed.