chumming

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by stiff, Mar 4, 2008.

1. stiff

stiff New Member

State:
    Ky
    I got a chum recipe from the library and I was wondering how long I should continue using the chum? Do I use it till it's all gone? Do I continue to leave it out in the sun?

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Brian. What type of chum is it? I wouldn't leave in the sun anymore. I would put it in a sealed container for latter use. Maybe put it in the refrigerator for freshness. If it's made of fish parts, leaving it in the sun to long will make it so rancid, you will probably want to throw it out. For the best results I would use it as soon as possible. You can always make some for latter usage.:0a26::0a18:

Mark..

3. stiff

stiff New Member

State:
    Ky
    The recipe I got calls for corn, yeast, and a beer.

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Brian! The chum your making will probably have alot of expansion. With the yeast and beer in the recipe, you will want to put in a sealed container and poke holes in the top to release the gases in the mixture. I would use this stuff after the allowed time the recipe calls for. Never heard of this combination for a fish chum. Heck, this might work great. Good Luck. Go catch a big one!!!

:0a26::0a18:
    Mark..

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hello again. Just read the recipe on the chum you are making. Says to cover loosely and stir every 3 to 4 days. Suppose to stink pretty good! Yeah, I would use this stuff after the allowed time to sit. Go ahead and use it all. That would be my choice. :wink::wink:

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you don't live in a populated area you can make a 55 gal drum of chum at one time. Dip off what you want to use that day and recover the rest. Get your container of choice. Buy chicken scratch, beer of yeast,use water and let set for several days. Keep filling the barrel with water to a level just over the corn mesh until it is fermented. The mesh will continue to soak up the water. You and your neighbors will know when its ready.

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Im planning on making a few 5 gallon buckets of chum. Since I have neighbors, Im going to place the buckets out in an area near the river I fish. Im going to close them up to keep the wild life from feeding on it. I'll pick it up on my way to the river and drop it off once I leave. I hope this help you out some.