chumming

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by coondog east fork, Dec 25, 2007.

1. coondog east fork

coondog east fork New Member

State:
    IND
    an old river rat told me to take a can of can dog food tie a rope on it and cut holes in it and throw it where you want to fish. Has anyone ever tryed this

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I can say it will attract bream/gills for sure, then bass slowly move in. I can't say weather or not the cats actually like the food but I know they like the fish it will attract. Canned will work fine but dry food is way cheaper. Use a high protein that's brown ONLY. Something about the colored stuff they won't take to as well. It's a 50-50 ratio of feed and hot water. Let it soak at least 1 hour before hand. Add corn meal if you want to thicken it up. Main thing is, let it thoroughly soak or it will float.

I use a big coffee can, the blue plastic Maxwell house container, it has a handle on it ; ) You can try it many ways if you want, freeze on a rope or in a container, etc. If ya find something else that works good , let me in on it ; )

-Jim-

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Randall check out the BOC library for lots of info, on chumming. Chumming, where legal, will enhance your fishing. Give it a try.

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have never tried it, but I have heard it works well.

5. coondog east fork

coondog east fork New Member

State:
    IND
    i have never tried it eather I do pretty good without chumming but I thought it mite work I like my gills and sonnys

6. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Not to sound like a complete idiot but can you chum a river........ the river i fish doesnt have a very strong current.....Seems like current would carry it away but maybe theres a way????:confused2:

7. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    You let the current work for you. Carries the scent to the fish.Catfish have a great sence of smell.

have a good one
    just

8. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Good info. I have found the same thing to be true. Some people swear by the canned dog food though. It is all they use.

9. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I haven't tried it before but I am planning on trying it this spring.

10. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    i have defently had chumming produce fish in the past. usualy smaller cats but hell fishins fishin and catchin is a bonus big or small. dry dog food is alot cheaper though...

11. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    if you fish in a river with lots of current, put your dry dog-food micture in a 2 gallon bucket with some holes drilled in it. not to big of holes and not to many or it will all be gone real quick. put some big rocks in the bottom to hold it down in the current and then tie a rope to it and tie it off. them toss it into the current and it will make a nice little chum line for you. if you are smart you will cast out past it so that the cats get to your baits before they get to the chum bucket. i have used it many times out here, i fish the irrigation canals and they usually have a good current and this systems works well.

12. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    SHOULD THE BAIT ON THE HOOK BE THE SAME AS THE CHUM IN THE BUCKET?

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ive used chum for 2 kinds of fishing.when im fishing the inlets or the bays at port oconnor texas i use jack samon in the can.just poke a hole in the end to ti a line on and poke a few holes in the sides to let the smell out.works good on flounder.
    in lakes and rivers i use the inside part of a minnow bucket.one of the metal kind.i tear open a bag of stink bait,the kind thats in little balls,and dump it in the bucket and lower it to bottom.if the currant is to strong i just put some lead ingots or rocks in the bucket and put it back down on bottom.already has holes no reason to drill.

14. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    you can try and use the same bait, but it doesnt have to be the same. you can use dog food as your chum and livers or cut bait and you will still catch fish. catfish are opportunistic feeders, they arent going to go right by a perfectly good meal to chase something else.

15. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I guess there are two side to that. Some do say use the same as your chum some folks say it don't matter. In my case, with the dog food, I catch the bream/gills that the chum brings in then a toss out a bleeding one not to far from my chum.

I have used cut bait chum yet but maybe this year I will.

-Jim-