Chumming

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by ldw45, Jul 10, 2007.

1. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've been reading information about chumming with all sorts of things such as soured corn, dog food, range cubes etc. Just wondering if any of you have tried chumming, what you consider the best thing to use, how you do it and how successful you have been?

2. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ive never tried it myself Dean, Ive always wondered about the legality of it, but Ive heard dog food works pretty well. Sorry I cant help any more then that. Im looking forward to seeing what the other members say though. I may have to give it a try some time.

3. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i've never really tried it either but i do have a friend that swears by it. he pokes holes in a can of alpo dog food and only throws it out about ten feet and thats all the further he fishes from the bank. he pulls in a bunch of ten lb plus channels every weekend. good luck

4. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    one more thing...i just remembered that his brother uses the same approach but instead he uses still born pigs. he works at a hog farm and keeps all the still born baby pigs and uses the blood and guts as chum from the bank and uses the pig livers and gizzards for bait.

5. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    During our gathering at Rend I asked about the legality. Tonto called a game warden friend of his who informed us it was legal in Illinois. Obviously they would frown on something excessive such as a deer carcas etc.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dean I like chicken scratch. Buy a bag , pour into a barrel or some 5-gal buckets, cover with water. Add brewers yeast or a couple cans of beer. Let it ferment. It will soak up the water. Keep adding water just over the top of the scratch. In a few days, when the neighbors, start to move, it will be ready. Place in a sack and tie on a roap and place in your honey hole. Then catch fish until you hurt. Good Luck.:smile2:

7. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mickey, Thanks for another good idea. You should write a book on catfishing with all that wealth of info you have. Havn't had a chance to try some of those Crab sites you gave me.... My bro and I hit Rend Monday and came out with 33. Biggest in neighborhood of 6#. Drifting with the salted shrimp was the ticket.

8. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    what's chicken scratch?

9. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    im not sure but i think its the same as cracked corn
    thats what i use and you should beable to get it at a grain mill or farm supply store

10. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I haven't ever thought of this till now, but I brew my own beer. We use Barley, corn, wheat, etc...

My point is, when I am done, I have about 30 lbs of grains that I usually just throw away. They still smell pungent, and I bet would work VERY well for chum...

Sounds like an experiment in the making!!!

11. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
  12. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dean I found this in the libiary on how to make a tube for chumming and i dont see why it wouldnt work for most anything you could stand to put in it. hope it may help you out.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38902:wink:

Looks like it would work & simple to make too.

You asked about chicken scratch. I guess Mickey hasn't seen the question yet. If memory serves me right it is just basic chicken feed that is grain bassed. Any feed store would fix you up.

13. kevhead56

kevhead56 New Member

State:
    Greenfield, Il
    I can remember my dad and nieghbor letting ground corn sit in a bucket of water for a week until it got to smelling and using it. Wheat also worked. They would throw it out were we wanted to fish and all kinds of fish would work there. The big cats would usually be in there at night. Fishing on the river when they are filling barges with grain gets good along and under the barge.

14. undys2

undys2 New Member

State:
    illinois
    That should work, I fish the discharge at ADM which is a corn processing facility. When I clean the fish the bellies are all ways full of corn.

15. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I save the guts from the deer processing and chum with it. Works pretty good too.

16. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Todd you are right. This will make a good chumm. You may need to set in sun for a few days. Let us know how it works.